Chapter Thirty-Two

Scarlett

The day of the trial

Today was the day that we either saw a psychopath go to prison or be allowed to walk the streets amongst the rest of us like nothing ever happened. And if I'm honest, knowing that Alex was still able to live his life free without any consequences would make me sick to my stomach and worried not for myself but for those around him in the future that have no idea what he is capable of.

I took a deep breath as I laid on a comfy red and black striped blanket in the grass by the pond, looking up at the crystal blue sky above me.

Then Ty crossed my mind. The epitome of someone who was like a wolf in sheep's clothing. Yes, we don't know if he was the actual person who caused the hit and run, but that does seem like the missing piece to the puzzle we were trying to put together. Why would his parents go through such great lengths to cover it up and make sure Alex had everything paid off? The only reason is to protect their son. And if we find out today that it is what happened, they should be held just as responsible as their son. There is no excuse in the book for that. Not then and not ever.

The sudden sound of leaves crunching underfoot on the pathway caught my attention as I quickly looked over, waiting to see who the peace disturber was.

The second that I saw that handsome face, my heart fluttered. His icy blue eyes met mine as he stopped just at the end of the path, giving me that grin that always seems to melt my panties right off of me.

"Hey, Shortcake, thought I might find you out here," Phoenix's voice was deep and husky.

I smiled softly back at him. "I took the chance to sneak away for a little bit while everyone was busy to..."

"Think about things?" He finished my sentence for me as I slightly raised an amused brow his way before Nix began to walk over to me. "You told me the morning I confessed my feelings for you that this is the place you always come to think."

His shadow now covered my body from the hot sun while I stared up at him. "You remember that?"

"I remember everything, Scarlett," He spoke in a sweet tone.

"Oh?... What was the color of my underwear when we were in the Ferris Wheel at the fair?" I asked.

His brows lifted as I gave him a devilish little smile. "Hm," He closed his eyes for a moment before his lips formed into a smirk, and he looked back down at me. "Red," His words were laced with confidence.

"Red?" I repeated, staring back at him.

Nix nodded slowly. "That's my final answer."

I giggled. "Huh, I guess you do remember everything."

He shook his head, smiling. "Well, only when it comes to you. Now scoot over, baby."

I moved to the other side of the large laid out blanket as he plopped down beside me, putting his arm sweetly around me while I snuggled against his chest. "It feels like only yesterday that you and I were in this exact spot after you kissed me for the first time."