Chapter Twenty Four

Lia

"Congrats, Zack." I smile up at the quarterback who looks over-the-moon.

Grinning, he pats my head.

"Thanks, Lia."

"And you," I turn to Nolee, my best friend who is a queen, "If I weren't heavily attracted to Cha Eunwoo, I'd be all over you."

Nolee laughs, but her usual happy-glow is missing from her golden eyes.

And why does it look like Nolee is avoiding eye contact with Zack? The dude keeps looking her way, expectedly, but the girl is ignoring him as if he's invisible.

"I think I left you with Blair for far too long." Nolee playfully nudges Blair who grins with a smug what can you do shrug.

Zack is talking to Xavier but his eyes keep sliding over to Nolee.

"Did something happen between you two?" I whisper to Nolee, worried.

Blair and I wait for Nolee to respond, her face sad as she sighs.

"I need to talk to you guys." Nolee grabs our hands and drags us away from the boys, safely away from all the crowd and quiet enough to hear each other over the loud music.

We're at the after-party for the football game. Both crowds from Applegate University and Lake Bellevue University are present. There is no sign of animosity, just fun.

"What's up?" Blair asks first.

"Is everything okay? Are you feeling good?" I rub Nolee's arm.

We saw what happened during the third quarter. That dude who she slept with was bothering her. Blair and I were ready to fight him if it weren't for Zack stepping in. It was scary watching Zack like that. I've always seen him as calm and playful, never that angry and destructive.

I wonder if Zack knows about Nolee and that guy.

"I'm fine," Nolee quietly says, her face void of happiness, "I'm just a little mad."

"Why?"

"What did Zack do?"

"You know Summer, the new rookie?" Nolee says her name like it's poison, angry, "I think Zack and her might have history together. The girl kissed him and I can't stop thinking of ways to murdering the bitch."

I stare at my best friend, amused.

Nolee wears her heart on her sleeve but when it comes to realizing her emotions, especially towards Zack, the girl is clueless.

It's shitty that Zack and Summer kissed, considering Zack clearly has a thing for Nolee, he should've known that was a bad idea. Yet, Zack and Nolee haven't made it apparent to one another about their feelings, leaving them both confused and reckless. So, the kiss between Zack and Summer isn't a big deal.

Nolee slept with another guy.

Zack kissed another girl.

Yes, they're not dating but they have feelings for each other, which amounts to respecting and considering the other person and their feelings.

But seeing my best friend jealous is funny. And Blair shares the same thoughts because she's grinning like an idiot.

"You're jealous." Blair teases her and she and I laugh.

Nolee rolls her cat-like eyes.

"No." Exasperatedly, she sighs.

"You guys need to talk. Be clear with each other because right now, you're both sending mixed signals and that's only going to lead to misunderstandings," Blair confidently encourages our friend, "As for Summer, she's probably his ex. I wouldn't worry about it, girl. The dude is disgustingly into you."