Chapter Two

Lia

Once lit class is over, I gather up my books and follow Nolee and Blair out the door. The two girls are in a very deep and intense discussion over who's hotter, Dylan O'Brian, or River Phoenix.

My best friends, everybody.

But if I were to share my two cents, I would, without a doubt choose Dylan O'Brian.

Nolee is determined to make Blair change her mind but the girl is not having it because when Blair sets her mind on something or someone, she will be loyal to the T.

"Both are hot." Interrupting them with my peace-making opinion but my two petty friends stare at me like I've offended the entire city of San Francisco.

"No, River's hotter." Blair confidently argues.

Nolee scoffs.

"Dylan is hotter."

"River's hotter."

"Dylan."

"River."

"Whoa. Chill." It's amusing how they're so into it.

Nolee and Blair glare at each other but there's no animosity, just playful banter.

"Hey, Lia." Breaking my attention from their staring contest, I find Sebastian standing behind me.

"Hey."

Sebastian smiles, rubbing his neck nervously.

"I was thinking—I mean, I was wondering...ah man why is this—what are you—fuck it," as if arguing with himself, Sebastian sighs, my eyes half-moon in adoration as his own turn amused, "Would you like to hang out with me sometime?"

"Hang out?"

"Yeah, like maybe grab something to eat or go watch a movie?"

"You want to hang out with me?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

Why would the Sebastian Rodríguez want to hang out with me? There are tons of other pretty girls who are way more exciting than me, they would happily jump at the opportunity to hang out with him. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just surprised and a little flustered. Sebastian is a popular guy, a hot guy and I'm just...me.

This morning's interaction was a coincidence, but thanks to lit class, Sebastian and I are beginning our friendship.

Sebastian's brown eyes flicker with amusement and awe, a little startled by my innocent question.

"Ok, damn, didn't think you'd actually question that," the boy bites his lip, "Well, because...I want to and maybe we can talk about some books, I don't know."

I can't hide my giddy smile.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Yeah, I'll hang out with you."

Sebastian grins, body language switching to nonchalance.

"Cool. But there's only one problem?"

"There is?"

"There's something wrong with my phone."

"Oh, what's wrong with it?"

"It doesn't have your number in it."

Oh my. Suppressing a creepy squeal, I giggle instead, happy and a little fluttered. My eyes twinkle with delight over his attempt at using a cheesy line so boldly.