Chapter Seventy

Lia

There's a heavy silence in the car as Xavier speeds down the road. Treacherous rain pelts down from the night sky making the asphalt wet and dangerous. I trust Xavier with my life but he's hitting a dangerous 180 and my anxiety is going haywire. Thunderous wrath has him shackled, he's completely lost in his cruel daze.

Rhea left the restaurant to go to her mother's and we were supposed to go back home but the heavy rainfall made it a little risky for us so Xavier is taking me to his mother's house which isn't that far. I'm a little thankful for this little inconvenience because something inside me doesn't want him to be alone tonight. Not after what happened at that dinner.

Hearing Xavier pour his heart out, wrenched my heart. I wanted to cry for that child that got neglected. The mother who got hurt by the one she loved. It's not fair. Xavier...is good and he deserves good things. He deserves to be loved.

I'm lost in my thoughts when we're suddenly stopping at the side of an empty, eerie stretch of road. Panicked, I look around me and see nothing but dark forests. Fear pricks at my insides. I hate the darkness and I hate creepy forests even more.

Why has he suddenly stopped?

Before I can ask him what's wrong, Xavier hastily unbuckles his belt, opens the door, and climbs out into the rain storm.

"Xavier!" I yelp in surprise and panic.

Xavier walks to the front of his car, the headlights beaming on him and I watch as he slicks back his hair in frustration.

Anxiousness and worry for him gnaw at my insides so, without hesitance, I open the door and step out. Immediately I get slammed with icy cold rain and it's torrential. I gasp as my dress gets soaked and my vision gets a little blurry but I shake off the shock and rush over to him.

"Xavier!" I yell over the thunderous sound of rain hitting the ground, "It's freezing rain, you're gonna get sick."

His eyes are blackened with wrath and aching anguish when he stares down at me.

"Is there something wrong with me?"

I flinch at his words.

"What?"

Contempt colors his features.

"Am I that fucked up to be loved?"

My heart freezes.

"Xavier—"

He tilts his head with a melancholic look.

"Am I that unwanted?" He whispers and it shatters my heart.

This is not Xavier, this is the kid that had been deprived of a loving relationship with one of the two important figures in his life. God, every time I think about what he went through as a child, it tears open my heart, leaving it to die on the floor like a massacre. I can't imagine how alone, how helpless he must've felt. But I would've never known he'd gone through such a terrible childhood if he hadn't told me. The guy reeks of strength, mentally and physically.

Sadness and anger for him soak me like the rain pouring down on me.

I can't believe what I'm hearing.

I've known this man to be so confident, so strong in the way he carries himself so to witness him resenting himself, pitying himself is heartbreaking and downright infuriating.

Without a second thought in my head, I grab his wrist to tug him into me and lean up on my toes to capture his lips with mine. With my eyes closed, I pour every bit of my affection and care that I feel for him. Xavier tenses, and he's not kissing me back. He's surprised, I understand. As am I. I didn't think I'd melt so fast for him but hearing him say those words about himself...it shattered my resolve for tonight.