Chapter Sixty Nine

Lia

"Why do you have so much shit?" I grumble as I drop another box of his shoes onto his bedroom floor. 

Elijah sends me the stink eye from where he's crouched in his walk-in closet.

"You better not be calling my collection of Jordans shit."

"Nobody needs that many sneakers," I mumble, "Some of these are so ugly."

Elijah stares at me like I've disgusted him.

"Get out."

I laugh and walk out. Mom is in the kitchen, organizing his stuff in there. Elijah has rented an apartment close to his college so mom and I are helping him move his stuff in. I grab another box labeled living room so I take it into his that is connected to the kitchen. When I put the box down, my phone vibrates.

It's my group chat with my girls.

Can I bring my fiancé to girl's night out? — Nolee

I still can't believe Nolee is engaged to Zack. When I saw his picture and that caption, I was stunned. I was with Blair so when we both saw it, we both squealed. I could not be happier for her. She deserves the best. And Zack treats her with so much love and care.

I thought he was hanging out with Xavier — Blair

He got ditched. Apparently, Xavier's got this dinner thing with his mom and dad — Nolee

My heart drops.

What? — Lia

That's what Zack said — Nolee

He's having dinner with his dad. That can't be good. The last time he met his dad, he fought him. Worry overwhelms me for Xavier.

Yeah, he can come but only on one condition, I get to pluck his eyebrows — Blair

Uh, no those babies are mine. I've had my eyes on them for too long — Nolee

Not fair, I've been so tempted to pluck those. They're so bushy — Blair

Leave it to my girls to make my unease fade a little. They're chaotic and I love them.

I'm recording this whole thing — Lia

Shall I ask Hudson to come over too? Then we have two bushy brows to sculpt — Blair

And I can't freaking believe Hudson and Blair are back together. Hudson, after his groveling, finally struck up the courage to apologize to her. I'm happy for them.

Uh, YEAH — Nolee

I exit the chat and pull up my messages with Xavier. The last we texted each other was the night we all found out about Nolee and Zack. He helped Zack get the ring for my best friend. When I think of what he's done, he goes and does things that make my heart melt.

You're having dinner with your dad? — Lia

I don't even have to wait two minutes before he texts back.

Yeah — Xavier

Before I can type out my reply, he's calling me. I don't hesitate to answer.

"I don't want to go." That's the first thing he says to me.

"But your mom—"

"I can't leave her alone with that man."

Another thing that I love about him is that he loves his mother profoundly. Nothing is more attractive than that.