Chapter Thirty Two

Lia

"When did you get a skateboard?" I ask as I place it on the floor.

"It was my birthday gift from Hudson." Blair answers as she watches me climb on it.

When I try to push myself forward, I almost kiss the ground when I lose my balance but Blair catches me and laughs.

"This is so cool." Nolee admires the skateboard, turning it around and looking at the underneath of the board.

"Is this custom-made?" I ask as the Yves Saint Laurent monogram shines.

"Yeah."

Damn. 

The skateboard is entirely black except for the wheels. The Yves Saint Laurent name is also in black but it's glossy so it reflects under light. It's minimalistic but cool. 

And it's adorable that he got her a skateboard. Because Blair has been showing interest in skateboarding and the fact that Hudson knows, is the cutest shit ever.

And now I've got to watch out for one more stupid skateboard. 

Evil-eyes B's skateboard. 

"How are you and Hudson, B?" Nolee asks as she gets on it and unlike me, she's able to slide forward a little.

We wait for Blair to speak but when I look over at her, I see a contemplative yet affectionate expression on her pretty face.

"What it is, Blair?" I ask softly.

She looks at me, then at Nolee with a faint smile painted on her lips.

"I'm falling for him."

Nolee and I share a delighted look.

Blair slumps down on the couch, throwing her head back and closing her eyes, a soft sigh escapes her lips, and Nolee and I sit beside her.

She's got it bad. 

"I don't know if it's what he did for my birthday or his gift or the fact that he and I are so alike but he's making me want something more with him. I don't want to be his friend anymore." Blair's voice is soft with yearning.

It's weird seeing her like this. Nolee and I are so familiar with a playful, dispassionate—not in a bad way—Blair. She doesn't let guys make her feel all these mushy, intense feelings. For as long as I've been her best friend, I've seen Blair in two relationships, and even then, those relationships were adventurous—she wasn't in love with the guys, she didn't even like them.

Blair likes the idea of a relationship but not the real thing. I don't know whether if it's her experience of them or if they're genuinely not her style but she doesn't fuck with them.

So seeing this side of Blair is refreshing and makes Hudson look like a wizard. Has the playboy tamed our temptress?

"Have you guys talked about it?" I ask.

"No. I'm scared to."

"Blair LeBlanc is scared to talk to a boy? Am I in an alternative universe?" Nolee teases.

Blair playfully glares at her best friend.

"I guess I'm just, I don't know—he's a fuck boy. He doesn't do girlfriends. I slept with him knowing that. Hell, I'm also always hooking up. My last relationship was in sophomore year of high school," she awkwardly laughs, all her anxious thoughts pouring out of her, "I don't want to look like a fool when he laughs in my face for confessing to him."

"Blair," Nolee caresses her hair, "Hudson is not like that and you know it. He cares for you, a lot."

"Nolee's right, I mean what he did for you for your birthday and how he's always teasing you and making you smile," I smile at her, "Hudson likes you too, B."

Nolee

"My dad wants me to come to a family dinner this weekend." Zack quietly says as he moves my hair away from my back and kisses my palm.

We're both naked with me laying half on top of him as he soothingly strokes my back. My breasts are pressed against his hard chest and my fingers trace over his toned abs.

"Are you going to go?"

Zack doesn't answer my question for a moment. I can hear the battle inside his head.

It makes me sad because no child should have to worry or think about wanting to go home to their family. Family is where the heart is. Zack's family situation is heartbreaking because I know he wants to go home but his own father is pushing him away.

My mom adores Zack. Whenever he's come over for dinner, he's always comfortable and happy and appreciated. Our doors are always open for him.

"Only if you go with me," Zack speaks, his hazel eyes shadowing with frustration, "I can't face him alone. I know if he starts his bullshit, I'll say or do stuff I'll regret. I need you there, Nolee. I need your comfort."

My heart swells at his words. He finds comfort in me and I could not be happier. I love that he feels comfortable with me but at the same time, I don't want him to be dependent on me for that comfort.

We need to fight our battles ourselves, for ourselves. We find the strength ourselves. People who are there for us, who support us, who love us are there to give us a reason to hold onto that strength and encourage us to never let that darkness win.

Raising my head from his chest, I place a soft kiss on his cheek. Zack closes his eyes and a ghost of an adorable smile paints his kissable lips.

"I'll be there."

Blair

"What am I learning first?" I put down my skateboard and gaze around the skate park.

"Balance." Hudson kicks up his board and catches it.

Wow.

That made my pu—oh God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

"Oh, I got that already," I wave him off and climb on my skateboard and kick to slide smoothly, showing off my balance, I look at Hudson with a grin, "What's next?"

"The easiest trick," Hudson drops his skateboard, "An ollie."

"A what now?"

He chuckles.

"An ollie."

I sit on my skateboard as I watch Hudson Rexroth perform the easiest trick a beginner skateboarder can learn. 

The trick is to stand near the middle of the board, kick down one end of the board with the back foot so it lifts off the ground, jump up with it, slide the front foot along before landing back on the board with a good balance. 

I'm going to murder this boy.

"You can't be serious," I deadpan, already over skateboarding, "That's the easiest trick? Are you crazy? I'm going to break my bones."

Hudson laughs.

"You're not going to break your bones, Blair."

I roll my eyes. He walks over to the bench where our stuff is and comes back with a safety helmet and pads for my elbows and knees.

"I got you these because it will hurt my innocent little heart if your pretty face gets even the smallest scratch." Hudson smiles so boyishly, so adorably that I almost groan out of pure adoration at his mischievous flirting.

But my heart swells that he thought of my safety. Hudson may be an annoying, flirtatious manwhore but he's undeniably caring. And that's just hot.

"Innocent my ass," I mumble teasingly as I grab the safety stuff from him, "Thank you."