Chapter Sixty Four

Lia

Fine. I'll give you your space. But come high or hell water Lia Berry but I will bring you back to me — Xavier

That was his text when he left my apartment that night I told him I needed space. I won't lie about the butterflies that swarmed in my belly or the fact that deep down I knew that he would keep his promise. Then when Blair came home that night, she told me a chocolate bar was left on our doorstep.

It's been a week since then and I'm slowly starting to focus on my studies. The days go by quickly, I'm either in class or in the studio or in my bedroom, working on my project. I procrastinate a lot but lately, I've been rewatching Stranger Things from the first season as I work and that helps me concentrate, oddly enough.

The nights are...painful. When I'm alone in my bed, with the lights out and the moon shining through my curtains, my eyes drift to the empty space on my bed. I miss him dearly at night. Whenever he slept over, I'd hug him like a teddy bear and have the best sleep.

I cry alone at night, wishing that we weren't apart. I think about what he's doing, what he's thinking. If he's eaten, if he's at The Creek. I miss Bloo so freaking much. I want to see him, hug him but that means I'll have to go to his place and...I can't do that right now.

Because if I go there, all my reserve will break.

I see Xavier around campus and in Professor Leto's class and every single time, I catch him looking at me. With yearning, with guilt yet with so much love. I never thought I'd be going through a heartbreak. I'm having a hard time dealing with the aftermath. I don't know what to do.

All I know is that I want to focus on myself and my studies right now.

Blair gasps and that has me breaking out of my thoughts. Nolee, she and I are cuddled up on our sofa, under a fluffy blanket watching our new favorite drama. Duy Beni, it's a Turkish high school slash murder-mystery drama. And the mean girl just pushed the girl protagonist into the pool.

"That bitch." Nolee mumbles.

I'm too captured by what's happening.

"I knew it!" Blair exclaims, "There was no way she was calling a truce."

"He's gonna save her." Nolee giddily murmurs.

She means the boy protagonist who is secretly crushing on the girl who just got pushed. It's low-key like an enemies to lovers novel. He hates that she doesn't give him any attention and she can't stand him because he is part of the mean girl's crowd.

Nolee's phone lights up with a message and she leans over to grab it from the coffee table. I'm chewing on my rasmalai—mom made it—when I hear her gasp.

"Oh my god!"

By the look of pure worry and shock on her face, Blair and I frantically sit up.

"What?" Blair asks.

Nolee, with wide eyes, stares at me.

"Xavier got arrested."

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach. My heart starts pounding with utter worry and fear.

"W-what?" I scramble around the blanket, turning my body towards my best friend, and search her eyes for answers.

"Apparently he got into a fight with Hyde at The Creek then the cops raided the track."

"Oh my god." I whisper in horror.

Why the hell did he get into a fight with Hyde? How the heck did the cops raid The Creek? Oh god, his contract. If he gets into the records, he won't be able to race. He'll be expelled from university, and kicked off his basketball team.