Chapter Twelve

Nolee

The cheerleading tryouts are a daunting experience because you have to observe and judge people's ability and level of skills based on what you hold yourself up to. I remember being in the same position as these rookies when I did my tryouts and it was a nightmare.

I gave my all for my tryouts and put my blood sweat and tears into my passion and look where I am now. It was thanks to the coaches and former cheerleaders who made it a comfortable and fun experience. That's my aim for my tryouts now. I want the rookies to feel at ease and perform with fire and have fun.

Bonnie, Cloe, Krystal, and I are the judges. Bonnie and I are more constructive and Krystal and Cloe are harsher when it comes to judging. It's a good balance. The choreography is not hard but detailed enough for the rookies to show their potential.

"I hope everyone is excited and ready to cheer," cheerfully, I wander my eyes over the students trying out, "We will call each one of you and give you a small routine that shows your potential and skills. Whoever makes it through, you'll be immediately pushed through to the final stages of the tryouts and whoever excels their final stage gets carried on the team, so Let's Go Wildcats!"

It's hot today and my oversized Lake Bellevue Wildcats t-shirt is working as my personal air conditioner. I gulp a hefty amount of my cold water to quench my thirst and heat. The turnout today is exciting with a healthy mix of girls and boys trying out.

With Bonnie and I conducting the first round of tryouts, I can already see the students who have potential and who don't. The ones who are giving it their all are burning with enthusiasm and the ones who are lacking a little are too stiff, too soft, and too uncoordinated.

Bonnie, whilst watching the rookies dance, picks out girls and boys to leave. And once she's satisfied with the rest, she tells them to stop. As I was watching them dance, one girl caught my eye. She has the fire we're looking for.

Krystal and Cloe are taking over the second round.

The girl who caught my eye stands in front of Krystal and Cloe. Her name is Summer.

"We've been too easy so far," Krystal speaks with her sultry voice, "Why don't we use one of our midnight routines?"

Midnight routines to rookies? Is she fucking out of her mind? It's a little overdramatic but when is Krystal not overdramatic? I shouldn't even be surprised she suggested this.

"What are you suggesting?" Cloe asks, skeptical of Krystal's thoughts.

"Front hand-spring, step-out, roundoff, back hand-spring, step-out, roundoff, back hand-spring, full-twisting layout."

Summer looks surprised but the fire in her eyes never dies. Krystal is innocently trying to sabotage Summer's tryout because Krystal saw what Summer has.

Krystal half smirks, half scowls at the girl.

"Krystal, we never use that on newbies." Bonnie disagrees with concern.

"Well, now we are." Krystal grabs her Starbucks water with ice and sips.

Krystal is a cheerleader with a plastic crown.

Summer tightens her ponytail, giving Krystal and Cloe a look of determination.

Stepping back, she takes in a breath of fresh air. When the music starts, I see her body ease with the rhythm. Like a light switch being turned on, her body sparks to life, the electricity taking over the atmosphere.

Summer doesn't miss even one of Krystal's instructed moves as if she's not going to give Krystal the satisfaction of her failure. The entire time, I'm watching her every move, every hand movement, every facial expression. Coming to an easy halt, Summer stands in front of everyone with an innocent smile.