Chapter Thirty Six

Nolee

I climb out of Zack's black Jeep Wrangler and fix my dress and as I glance over at him, nervousness and frustration are sketched all over his handsome face.

"Hey," I take his hand in mine, tenderly caressing, "It's going to be okay. I'm right here."

Walking up to the traditional house, I admire the mix of American and Japanese architectural elements.

Zack looks down at me and nods but doesn't smile. I take a moment to appreciate how good he looks. Light brown hair slicked back with a tendril falling over his eyes, his hazel eyes heavy with fatigue—he just finished practice and apparently took a brutal hit to the ribs. His Lake Bellevue football jacket is over his board shoulders and I just know that his father is going to go haywire at the sight of it.

After Zack picked me up, he took me to In-N-Out to get food because he told me that there's no way he'll be able to eat tonight at his parent's house. I felt pity for him but I understood.

Even with heels, Zack is a foot taller than me but I love our height difference. As much as I love preaching about my womanly rights and all that—I love feeling feminine when I'm with him. I love that he makes me feel safe and appreciated and sexy.

"Zack!" Zack's mom cheerfully smiles at him, tugging him in for a massive bear hug.

"Hey, mom." He closes his eyes and I almost melt from their adorable bond.

His mom is gorgeous. Wavy blonde hair, deep blue eyes, and a face rivaling the goddess of beauty. She almost looks like Blake Lively. And the dress she has on is absolutely beautiful. She looks young and healthy. Zack's mom and Lia's mom are so hot that they make me want to switch teams.

"I've missed you," she kisses his cheek before her eyes glance at me, lighting up in joy, "Nolee, my sweetheart, I haven't seen you in so long."

She hugs me the same way she hugged her son and the feel of her arms around me is warm.

"It's good to see you, Mrs. Mackenyu."

We step into the house, and it smells of fresh laundry and Japanese blossoms.

"I've made your favorite, Zack, and you should've told me Nolee was coming with you, I would've made her favorite too."

"It's alright, I'm happy with whatever you've made and it smells delicious." I say with a bright smile and I'm not kidding. The aroma is mouthwatering. Whatever she has cooked smells rich and savory.

His mom walks into the kitchen slash dining room but Zack doesn't move so I go to him and grab his hand. Giving him a reassuring smile, we walk into the room. The table is already set with a dozen different Japanese dishes strewn about.

Zack and I are so entranced by the food that we don't hear another person walking into the kitchen.

"You came," Zack tenses at the sound of his father's voice, "I'm surprised."

Ignoring the jab, Zack looks at his dad with no expression.

"Hi, dad."

His father's eyes slide to me.

"Hi, Mr. Mackenyu." I say with a smile because one thing my experience with men taught me was that the best way to treat assholes like him is to kill them with kindness. But don't get me wrong, my kindness has a limit and if it's crossed, I can get pretty feisty.

"Let's eat," he brushes me off and takes off his suit jacket, draping it over the chair and sliding into the seat at the head of the table, "Your mother has been waiting for you with the food she's made and you're late. You don't respect me but you will respect my time."