Chapter Seven

Lia

Sitting in the car beside my mom, I'm wondering why I agreed on going to this dinner to some stranger's house. It obviously sounds like that dude invited mom because he likes her and because she treated him with kindness but my mom had to drag me with her because she likes her daughter suffering from being the third wheel. I'd rather be in my bed watching Friends.

Mom will talk endlessly to this dude, talking his ear off. If I don't physically make her leave after this dinner, my butt will leave an imprint on the couch and my skeleton will be waiting. I'll be dead from boredom. This dinner is going to be boring, and if we don't leave early, I'm going to hold a grudge against mom.

At least I have something to get excited about.

The party, tomorrow night, at Hudson Rexroth's house.

Mom swerves in front of a huge black gate that obnoxiously holds itself so high and mighty with the black iron, with a V ironed on right in the center. The gate opens smoothly, not even a creek of sounds present. Driving along the long driveway, we're welcomed by an enormous mansion. The stone structure is modern with a touch of ancient history.

I glance at mom and she looks awestruck. Whoever she treated is super rich.

"This is a house..." I mumble, eyes gawking at the beauty of the architecture.

"Uh-huh," mom is baffled, "Maybe he owns a very large cat."

I look at my mom as if she's grown a second head, cracking up at her theory.

A man dressed in dark red velour walks up to our car and pulls open the driver side door. My mom stares at the gesture as if he'd just insulted her God-gifted cooking skills. Mom steps out and I follow.

Entering through the rococo detailed door, we stand in the huge foyer. A huge crystal chandelier hangs on the ceiling, the warm lights catch on the crystals creating a speckled effect on the white walls. A butler—no kidding—motions us to wait in the living room. Everything is so neutral—white, beige, brown, ecru—from the flowers to the statues. It feels a little lonely but there are hints of a home. Family portraits, mismatched couch cushions, and sport trophies.

Before I can look at the family portraits closely, a very healthy looking man walks in. His broad shoulders, dark brown hair, and brown eyes exude authority. The way his eyes look at my mother is cute. There's softness, admiration, and appreciation.

"Christopher." Mom elegantly smiles at the man.

Christopher smiles at mom.

"Liana, you look magnificent tonight."

I hide a laugh because it's so weird seeing the two looking at each other as if they're hiding a secret relationship from their parents. If Elijah was here tonight, he'd be giving this man the stink-eye. Elijah is protective of both mom and me.

I must admit, Christopher is dashing. He looks like a slightly older version of the late John F. Kennedy Jr. Charming and very handsome.

"Christopher, this is Lia," she motions to me, "My daughter."

"Hello." My smile is polite.

Christopher smiles kindly, but then his gaze quickly goes back to mom. Someone's whipped.

Liana Berry is a gorgeous woman. Chestnut hair, equally brown eyes, and delicate features that make the stories of her being the most beautiful girl in her high school true. Mom looks like if Aishwarya Rai and Monica Bellucci had a baby. She attracts male attraction like a bee to honey.

WANT (Complete ✔️)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें