Chapter Sixteen

Lia

I'm shaking.

Sadness is shaking out of me and the cause of said emotion is the boy inside. But looking at Xavier right now, sadness is turning into comfort and relief.

I'm so happy he's here. I know I'm mad at him but I'm so happy.

I don't know why my heart takes off towards the stars when Xavier's eyes flicker with concern mixed with anger, but the emotion has me crying in joy.

"Why are you crying?" Xavier's raspy, deep voice cuts through my sadness like a wave. But his eyes are storming with baffled anger as if he's certain of feeling mad but confused at what or more so, who the emotion is targeting.

I sniffle, wiping away my tears.

"Lia." Colton hollers my name.

No.

Xavier's gaze shoots to Colton behind me and his eyes are dark, dripping with fire and ice.

"Lia," Colton softly takes my hand, "Let me take you home."

I don't want to be anywhere near him.

I wanted tonight to go peaceful with Colton, to go casual but I knew I was asking for too much. I knew things would turn ugly once I confronted him. I thought I was ready for the truth but I was wrong, completely wrong. Hearing the truth, Colton's confession twists my heart in the most painful way possible.

I've been played unfairly.

A black cloud of wrath looms above Xavier's head.

I tear my hand away from Colton's hold without looking at him.

"No, Colton."

I need to get away from him.

Colton steps around and comes in front of me, overwhelming my personal bubble.

My heart wrenches in distrust and disgust.

"Lia." Colton softly draws.

I bite my lip, holding back tears of frustration.

I need time to think everything through, to make sense of Colton's confession.

"She said no." Xavier harshly snaps.

My red, teary eyes dart to Xavier in surprise.

What is he doing?

Colton gives Xavier an unbothered glance, irritated.

"I wasn't talking to you."

Xavier darkly frowns.

"And clearly she doesn't want anything to do with you."

Colton's body shifts in anger, he turns to face Xavier completely.

"Who the fuck are you?" Colton snarls.

Xavier ignores him, stormy eyes drinking me in intensely.

"Is he why you're crying?"

I wring my hands together out of nervousness, unraveled by Xavier's sudden question.

"Why don't you mind your own goddamn business." Colton bites coldly.

Xavier looks at Colton for a moment, his eyes twisting in darkness. Scoffing as if amused, Xavier walks towards me and grabs my wrist.

Glaring and smirking menacingly at Colton, Xavier pulls me into him.

"I am."

Walking me away from Colton, Xavier and his actions falter my thoughts. I don't even bother to give Colton one last glance, he's already made my heart and mind confused and hurt.