Chapter Sixty

Lia

I can't breathe.

My body is trembling. My heart is beating so fast that I'm afraid I'm going to faint soon. I'm hyperventilating.

Each inhale feels like knives digging into my heart over and over again and every exhale is excruciating. I don't want to breathe anymore. I don't want to...I don't want to be here.

"He—he lied. He lied to me." I choke on my tears, my words laced with absolute heartbreak.

My head is fuzzy with countless memories and words that I thought were real but weren't. They were fake. Each memory is tainted with the realization that everything started from a lie.

My heart pounds so brutally inside my chest that stars begin to dance around my eyes. I want them to close. I want to fall into a darkness so that I don't have to live through this moment of my life. I want to forget this night ever happened.

I want to forget he happened.

I want to forget we happened.

I want to...I want to forget.

"H-he can't do this. He wouldn't do this. Why would h-he do this?" I ramble with quivering words and watery eyes. My hands are trembling as I tighten my grip on my dress.

It's dawning on me quite heartlessly that we were a lie.

"Oh my god, e-everything was a lie," I gasp for air, "I can't—I can't—"

I can't breathe.

Nolee

Shit, she's having an anxiety attack.

My own heart is panicking as I soothingly brush my hands along Lia's arms. She's on the floor, beside the sofa in our living room, breathing quickly, gasping for air with her unstoppable tears and heartbreaking words.

"Lia," I coo softly, brushing hair away from her face, "Take a deep breath." I instruct just like I used to when she had them back in high school.

Lia cries and my own eyes prick with tears because...she just got her heart broken in the most vicious way possible.

Xavier lied to her.

Made a bet to make her fall in love with him.

"Take a deep breath, girl, come on." Blair encouragingly says, moving to sit in front of her, holding her hands in hers, "Let's breathe in."

Lia does through her tears.

"And breathe out."

Her eyes are locked to the night sky as she breathes out.

"Atta girl." Blair sings.

I'm so fucking mad at Xavier. I want to hurt him. Castrate him. Punch his goddamn face for hurting my best friend.

But deep inside me...I know that what they had was real. Somewhere along his game, Xavier fell.

Fell hard.

Otherwise, no guy who made a bet to make a girl fall in love with him would look like his whole world shattered when he saw the girl he loves finally know the ugly truth. 

He loves her.

I believe that.

But I also believe that he's a complete douchebag for playing with my girl like that. My best friends come before any guy would ever will. They matter the most to me. So I don't give two fucks about him or his love for Lia, I care about what Lia is going through and help her through this heartbreak.