Chapter Eighty Nine

Lia

Elijah normally drives like a maniac but I've never seen him so utterly careless with how fast and dangerously he drove to get me back to Bellevue. All throughout the drive, my heart was in my mouth as I watched the video of Xavier's crash. It looks like the car behind him purposely drove close to his which caused Xavier to tailspin and slam into the railings. His car went up in flames almost immediately and then he jumped out and got dragged away by medical personnel.

I don't know the extent of his injuries or what this means for his racing career but all I'm worried about is if he's okay. The fact that Blair told me he's at home gives me a little reassurance that maybe his injuries aren't that serious. 

The moment I step through his apartment, I'm holding up my lehenga and rushing towards him with tears rimming my eyes.

"Lia." Xavier is surprised but doesn't hesitate to smile at me but the moment he sees my tears, his smile drops.

"Are you okay? Please, tell me you're okay, Xavier." I quietly sob with shaky breaths. My hands are trembling as I touch his arms and his cuts and bruises. There aren't many but the few that he has look stomach-churning. And his left wrist is bandaged.

How the hell did he get out of that crash with so little injuries?

"Baby, I'm okay. I promise. Please stop crying." He's so tender as he cradles my face to wipe away my tears.

I'm overcome with so much relief that I feel exhausted. And it's after I calm down that I notice that everyone is here.

And I mean everyone.

Our friends. Blair's grandma. Xavier's mom. My mom.

Awkward. 

"What happened? How the fuck did you crash?" Elijah blurts out but I catch the concern in his voice.

"Cheating." Viini starts talking about what went down.

Xavier sits down but my legs feel so weak from exhaustion so I just sit down on my knees by his legs on the floor. My eyes never stray away from him. I'm scared that if I look away, this all might be a dream and that Xavier is in a hospital bed fighting for his life.

But then his eyes capture mine and harden. He frowns and grabs my wrist to tug me up to sit beside him.

"Don't kneel in front of me," he scolds me but then he's leaning in to whisper into my ear, "Only when I want you to."

This idiot has the nerve to be sly when he nearly freaking died. My blush makes him grin and makes me hide my face in the croak of his neck. Wrapping my arms around him, keeping my face away from everyone, I hug him tight. Xavier slings his arm around my waist and molds me to his side. The feel of his fingers on my bare skin and the sound of his heartbeat are comforting.

I'm so thankful he's okay.

I could get on my knees and thank the Lord for protecting him from such a horrific crash. It's a miracle he came out of that alive. 

"What do you mean cheating?" Elijah asks, completely sucked into this.

Viini leans back against the wall and crosses his arms.

"Number 68, Zion Hawkins has been the number one racer at the track. But ever since X has started racing, he's become second best," Viini irritatedly sighs, "And what does that idiot do instead of improving his skills, he cheats. Out of jealousy. My dad found out his team had been coming up with this elaborate plan on making Xavier lose a race just so Zion can become number one again. They planned on making him crash deliberately. But it's all good. Zion is kicked out and so is his team and we're filing a lawsuit against them on behalf of Xavier."