Newt Imagine: Flinch (Part 2)

Warning: Language
Word Count: 1,753 Words
Author's Note: Hallo, all! Again, another deaf reader imagine! I apologize if I got any ASL wrong. Happy reading! ~ July 20, 2023

• • • • •

She was ripped awake by another nightmare, the same one she's had for years. It was early in the morning, the sun had just started to rise. The others were still asleep so she did her best to be as quiet as possible as she got up, but of course, she had no concept of how loud she was. She wished she still had her sense of hearing, but she wondered if things would be different.

She found herself standing overlooking the orange and dry earth they would have to travel. She crossed her arms over her body, rubbing her hands on her arms to warm herself up as the breeze blew. A jacket draped over her shoulders and she turned to the person now standing next to her, smiling when she saw who exactly it was.

"Morning," He signed with a smile. "How are you?"

Her fingers extended straight, slightly spread out. She placed her thumb to her chest, her hand perpendicular to her body. "Fine," She removed her hand. "Did you get any sleep?"

Newt shook his head. "How far is it?"

She shrugged, looking at him. She turned only when he did as they looked behind them to see the others awakening. Jorge stood up signing "Good morning" to the two. [Y/N] smiled, trying to read his lips as he spoke to the others. She couldn't quite make out his words, but when Newt spotted her squinting, he translated to her.

"We have to travel to a man named Marcus?" It was almost a question that he signed. She squinted her eyes in confusion, turning to Jorge.

"Marcus?" Her voice was quiet with a hint of anger. He turned to the girl and sighed.

"I'm sorry, hija," He signed quietly. Before he could continue, she let her anger get the best of her and lashed out at the man.

"What's she saying?" Minho asked, and Jorge turned away from the irritated girl.

"Marcus was the man that first found her and Brenda after they were removed from WICKED's program," His gaze met Newt and [Y/N]'s. "He traded them to the people I rescued them from. We need his help."

"He won't help," She scoffed. "He'll betray us."

"No, he won't. He's changed." Jorge looked angry as he argued with the young girl.

"Bullshit," She glared. "He'll throw us even more off course."

Jorge held his left palm up towards the sky, abruptly placing his right hand perpendicular down on it. "Stop," He signed rather harshly. "I don't want to hear any more of this. We are going to Marcus."

Newt, feeling sorry for the girl, gently took her hand in his and gave it a light squeeze. "It'll be ok." He made sure to annunciate despite him speaking quietly. She hesitated at first before giving a slight nod. As he looked at her [E/C] eyes, he saw anger slowly being overtaken by fear and gave her hand another squeeze.

The group packed up quickly and in moments they were off traveling to the small town where Marcus lived. Most of the buildings were empty or destroyed, except for one. The beat of music practically shook the ground below it, teenagers swayed intoxicatedly.

"We're looking for a man named Marcus," Jorge spoke to the blonde standing at the door and with a devious smirk, she glanced the man up and down.

"I'm afraid I don't know who that is, old man," She leaned against the wall. "At least, not for free."