Gally Imagine: It Was Easier When You Were Dead

Warning: Death of sibling, angst, language
Word Count: 1774 Words
Quick A/N: Was away for so long that Wattpad had undownloaded itself. That, my friends, is a true tragedy. Hopefully I will be able to continue to share my writings. ~ Updated September 26, 2023
• • • • •

If she could choose to live life the way it had been, to spent endless days in the Glade before her brother was killed, before the boy she thought she loved killed him, before he was killed himself, she would. She didn't care that she had been trapped within the confinement of the Walls. She just wanted to be happy again, happy and in love.

Chuck meant everything to her, and as his older sister, she made it her priority to protect him. When Thomas arrived, she wasn't at all surprised by how quickly the two became friends, but she didn't think it would go as far as literally taking a bullet for him.

On the other hand, Gally meant just as much to her as Chuck. When she arrived in the Glade, he had only gotten there mere months before her. They grew close, eventually falling in a love so deep, they were almost never separated. He had built the two of them a small but in which they called home. He had crafted up all sorts of furnishings for her to decorate it with: a proper bed, nightstands, a desk for her to write at, a rather clever and private bathroom. They loved it. It was theirs.

Of course, it was one of the many buildings destroyed when the Grievers invaded through the stone Walls, murdering nearly half of the boys. She was torn between supporting her brother's desire to leave, and Gally's struggling anger towards Thomas, so she stayed silent. When she heard of Thomas's plan to leave, she confided in Gally to persuade him to go with.

"I'm not leaving this place," He was oddly calm and collected with her. He placed his hand over hers. "It's not safe out there. I can rebuild our home here and make sure you and Chuck are safe."

"It might be better outside," Her voice was quiet in case anyone else heard. "I don't know what's out there, but I am itching to leave. What if we rebuild our home out there? I'm sure we could."

Gally shook his head. "I don't want to leave. This is all I know, and frankly I'm afraid for what's out there. What if it's worse? What if you're safer here?" She shrugged and the conversation died.

"Chuck is leaving with them," Her words sliced through the silence, and the builder clenched his jaw at the thought of her leaving. "You know I have to go with." He nodded, intertwining his fingers with hers. He brought the back of her hand up to his lips and kissed it, but didn't say a word.

In the morning, she left with them just like she had said. Gally thought for a brief moment she would stay when her eyes lingered a bit longer than the others, when her legs didn't quite start jogging even though the others did. At the end, he beat himself up too much about not being there and gave in to leaving the Glade behind him. No one decided to join him, and he didn't blame him. Thankfully, he had previously been a Runner and knew vaguely the layout of the Maze. When he had spotted a Griever, he distracted it to hopefully kill it like Thomas had. It didn't take him long to trap and squish the robotic monster in a rotating section of grey slab, extracting the secret silver canister that contained the key. His only issue was getting to the others. He found that the Griever he killed was from Section 6, and swiftly made his way to that exit. He sprinted to the "dead end" and began frantically inputting the code to leave. The Grievers spotted him to his bad luck and clawed their ways toward him. He didn't even realize he had been stung until he was standing in the brightly lit hallway outside the Maze.