Chapter 37

Ame's P.O.V

I knew what I was doing wasn't right, but it was the only thing that seemed to make any sense in my scrambled mind.

Because, if I avoided him, then I wouldn't have to confront the anguish that came with seeing him.

Although I tried, it was never that simple.

His figure haunted me, he loomed over me.

If he pressed, I backed away. If I avoided, he was drawn. Even if I screamed and lashed out, he sought after me.

Pure opposites.

That was what we were and what we would always be.

It was a sad truth that I would have to learn to accept, but it needed to be done. Not only for my sake, but for his as well.

Both of our brains couldn't function if this thought kept coming back, so I decided to avoid it in its entirety.

But here I was, thinking of the very thing I so desperately wanted to avoid.

My focus was anywhere but the meeting. EU was going over how we should approach new information in the future to avoid what happened yesterday.

I had other things warping around my mind, but I pushed them aside for now; this was more important.

This was about the world.

And, in the grand scheme of things, a little loss couldn't come in the way of that.

The world kept moving and I was stalled by the hefty luggage I carried, so I placed them down and moved onwards.

"We all must approach the questioning of Mexico as a delicate matter. She is not an easy nut to crack, but we must not crumble to her unwillingness to cooperate. Even if we do get something out of her, we cannot trust that it is the truth. As we have seen earlier, she is prone to lying. Therefore, everything we extract from her must be handled with a grain of salt." EU lead, even if he was being contradictory to the way he handled that situation a few days ago.

"We have to go get her and bring her here, so I advise you to use your time wisely to expand on the questions you came up with during your lunch break. I will be back in a couple of minutes." With saying that, he went to talk to some of his employees, and left to get her.

Chatter immediately started to fire around the room from several different places. They were all different, but they mostly had one thing in common; questions for Mexico. However, some of them were different and related to other topics of discussion.

The people around me buzzed with the opportunity to find and get something out of her. They wanted success like everyone else.

They wanted to be special.

My thoughts didn't differ from theirs. I wanted what they did; to be the one to get important information.

How we would do that was unknown, but it most certainly required a trick question or two.

"So, vhat arrre you going to ask herrr?" I narrowed my eyes and flicked them over the man with his hat next to me.

"I don't know." I quickly deflected in hopes that he would give up on this conversation.

But, we were opposites for a reason.

"Rrreally? You seem to know a lot morrre about herrr and vhat herrr motive could be zhan anyone else herrre, aparrrt frrrom herrr family of courrrse." He pushed.