Chapter 45

Ame's P.O.V (Innocent children, cover your ears.)

I pulled open the familiar, yet forein door and took a step into my quiet house.

The lights were off, there were no external noises, and the room was devoid of any life. The only thing that suggested that anyone was living here was a pile of plates and other glasses in the sink.

I opened the closet door where we kept all of our shoes, coats, and other amenities. Then I took off my coat and shoes, and set them inside the wooden frame. I closed that door and rolled my suitcase forwards, as I explored the open room.

I sighed in relief, as I stumbled upon the calendar hung up on the wall with a check next to the fifteenth of March; Maine's birthday. It was currently the nineteenth of March, which meant that they at least had to have been here four days ago at the very earliest.

At the latest, they were still here.

"States! Are you up?" I screamed off into the darkness. "I'm back!" My voice echoed off of the chambered walls.

Nothing came back.

I didn't really expect anyone to call back to me, after all, it was about four in the morning. That was way too early for any of my states to be up.

The light in the lower half of the house clicked on after a minute of pure silence.

My instinct was to run over to the light and engulf whichever state I had woken up, but there was a strange eerie feeling that pressed my feet firmly into the ground.

The state emerged into the hallway and I could tell that it was a girl, which narrowed the options of who it could be from fifty to twenty-five.

She stopped moving once she saw me. I could hear a little gasp filled with recognition in the quiet halls.

I let go of my suitcase and opened up my arms for her to come running at me.

But, she didn't.

Instead of happiness or even a hello, I received a small cackle that rose and fell over time.

I didn't recognise it.

"Did you really think that I would come hug and kiss you hello? Oh, you fool. You poor, poor fool."

Her voice wasn't one that I had ever heard before and her words stung like an eel. She slowly stepped forward, and then again, and another step.

Little by little her face was exposed to the light and I made out a flag that was not of my own.

She was eventually only a meter away from me and I could tell that this was not a child I was dealing with; this was a woman.

"Hi, United States of America. I'm Cabi or Cabinet of States. I would say I'd be delighted to make your acquaintance, but I don't make stuff up, unlike you." She snidely introduced.

The flag that made up her head was split into four sections, all divided by two white lines, one going up and the other across. Only one of her turquoise eyes could be seen, while the other one was being covered up by a diamond-shaped patch with a star in the middle of it. The star was made of five swords, each one acting as one of the ends, whereas the middle was of one shield. There were stars scattered all over her spaces, the most being in her bottom left corner.

It was a strange design to say the least.

Her hair was cut short, just above her shoulders on one side, but the other side looked as if it had been shaved, but regrew over time. She was in loose sleepwear, specifically knee high pants and a tank-top.