Chapter 4

America's P.O.V

"Alright kiddos, I have to get to the meeting. Remember, no natural disasters while I'm gone." I instructed, eying the states that were most likely to get into a fight.

"Papi, why can't we ever go to your meetings?" Hawaii asked, making puppy-dog eyes at me. 

I pulled her into a hug, knowing that she liked them. "Sorry, Wildflower, but some things are just for Papi to know for now. I'll tell you about it when I come back, okay?" She nodded her head, still buried in my embrace. 

"I love you, Papi." She mumbled. My heart felt like it could burst, that was just the thing that I needed to hear.

"I love you to." I told her as I let her go. I looked up at all my other states, "I love you all so much."  They smiled at me as a few ran up to me to give me a send off. 

Even if I was just going to a meeting, they knew how dangerous my job was. I was one of the largest targets for assassins. One time, I looked at the amount of money on my head and wasn't surprised when it was over ten-billion dollars, American dollars. That's when I started to doubt everyone, the president, ministers, office members, governors, basically every high authoritarian figure other than my states.

I hopped into my car, it wasn't that fancy due to the heavy price value on my head. It was a white Jeep with room for seven passengers. It was around five years old, with comfortable seats. I had other cars, ones for the finest of occasions, but this one was my favorite. It reminded me of when I was easily trustable, when I wasn't in a pit of my own paranoia, a time where everything was calm. 

"Bye dad!" I heard them all chant from the driveway. 

"Bye, kids." I whispered as I backed up and drove off. 

Driving along the deserted road, I turned on the radio, hoping for something to distract me from the thirty-minute journey. I found a station that I liked, sadly, the song was just ending. I sat there for a few seconds at a red light waiting for the next song to play. 

As the next song came on, my mind drifted back to other thoughts. Some were about my older brother, whereas others were about other problems in my life.

And, as always, I didn't like them.

They made me feel apprehensive to do anything else, due to the fear of disappointment and dissatisfaction that it could bring me, as well as anyone else. 

Especially the people of my country, they took in gossip and falsehoods more than any other thing. Including the truth.

Everything I did was twisted, whether that be for good or evil was never up to me, it was up to the news stations that broadcasted my mishaps and mistakes so that everyone could see them. They decided whether I was a hero or not.

I sighed, they usually painted me as a villain with corrupt morals who didn't care about anything but money. 

Of course, I knew that was a lie, but the public didn't.

They would gobble down this information without a second doubt. Then it would spread in different pockets of neighborhoods, as each person told their friend and those friends told other friends. 

Have I done some bad things, undoubtedly, but have I done what they're preaching? No. 

Sometimes, I wish that everything could rewind to back before the fist world war. Things were simpler then with that limited technology. 

However, going back meant that amendments would get unmade, amendments such as the Women's right to vote. That one was only made a few years before that global conflict started.