Chapter 47

Ame's P.O.V

I didn't feel like doing anything.

Even the simplest of tasks were incredibly difficult and time consuming.

I wasn't even bothered enough to turn on the TV or to drink water. Nothing mattered except for my states.

My phone was left unchecked for the better part of the day. I just couldn't look at it.

No...

I just didn't want to look at it.

There were so many people who were willing to reach out to me, and that gave me guilt. I knew that they were wasting their time, yet they didn't. They kept calling, kept texting, and it got more ridiculous each night.

Their dings and rings nibbled at my conscious throughout the day. It, at first, made me want to take my phone and chuck it through the highest window. However, I restrained myself.

Over time, my mind started to want to call all of them back, just to get them to stop. Now, I wanted to call them to let them know that I was okay.

Yet, I felt like I was preventing myself. I think in that moment, I felt like I needed to solve this problem on my own, since it started in my own country with my states. The others weren't connected to this, only I was.

I rolled away from my phone and covered my head with a pillow. I could still hear the noises that were coming from my phone, but they were muted. I released a small sigh, it wasn't like this problem was going to go away.

After a few minutes of contemplation, I sat up and reached for my phone: five-hundred and seventy-two texts, one-hundred and thirty-three missed phone calls, and several missed emails. That was a lot. More than a lot actually.

I clicked on the calls first and I noticed that the older ones were mostly from France, whereas the newer ones were from all over.

I clicked on the first voice message that was left from my mother and listened.

"Hello, America." I could hear the muffled sound of a car in the background. "I know why you were sent back home. You want to get that thing away from your home, so I know you might be busy. Just give me a call when you have the opportunity, okay? Alright, I love you!"

My mouth went dry. I clicked on the next one. Her words calmed me and they gave me a sense of purpose.

Although, I noticed something as the messages went on, she was anxious. Her voice was spazzy, and it fluctuated between different octaves. Each one was the slightest bit more emotional than the last.

New voicemails infected my heart as I continued to listen. Some were thankful that they were out of the building, which came as new news to me. Others were scared and emotional since I left.

Then there was the last group of people, the people who were angry that I could just leave with nothing but a snap of my fingers.

I deleted those ones as soon as I listened to the whole message.

They all held a unique message that inspired me. I couldn't just mope around here while my states were being taken advantage of.

I had to do something.

And that started out with getting out of this damn hotel room.

My stomach grumbled.

And eating.