The Thing About An Affair

(DAYU)

My sister in law followed my advice and she approached the Queen about her plan to acquire a secret lover.

What I didn't anticipated was BaoZang dragging me to this meeting with the Queen. Probably my fault because I should've known my sister in law won't sideline me on this plan of hers. We are bestfriends after all.

"Do you think I should do it?" BaoZang asked the Queen while we are having a private tea with just the three of us. After the drinks and accompanying little snacks were served to us, the Queen asked every helpers and staffs to leave us alone so we can have this discussion in private.

"I...I don't know." Her Majesty looked back and forth at us. "I mean, isn't this such a big leap for you? You refused to go out on dates for almost two years and you just started getting yourself out there again...suddenly you want to conduct a private affair. Thats at least a 180 degree turn around, my love."

"I know Mother...I just," BaoZang looked at me for some help. I clamped my lips helplessly at her. This is her job. To explain why she wants this.

"The dates are dismally uninteresting..."

"You mean boring?" A small smile appeared on the Queen's lips before she sip some tea

"Yes, if we are being brutally honest. They were tedious and pretty tiring, to be honest. I mean, I don't know what changed in me but I find it absolutely nonsensical now. Dating..." BaoZang picked a cracker with olive paté on it and popped it whole on her mouth. "I mean, why can't I have a love story like Qing ge and Dayu gege? They didn't go to a messy dating process..." she said around the mouthful of cracker and olive paté on her mouth.

I coughed in surprise at what she said. The Queen scoffed, "Oh for heaven's sake, BaoZang, if you conduct an affair like your brother and brother in law had, I will just die. It will kill me, I am not kidding. I will take it a personal favor if no one will get kidnapped in this family ever again." Her Majesty huffed angrily.

"Sorry, Mother." BaoZang grimaced in apology. "But I don't know what else I can say to justify why I want to do this."

I decided to finally to put my two cents in. "What I worry about is her security. I want her to be safe at all times if she will do this," I said.

"Absolutely," Her Majesty agreed with me passionately. "That is an imperative."

"I will be careful. I will go to someone with expertise in absolute discretion." BaoZang said. "Trust me, this person is a professional."

Oh, if she is referring to Dylan Wei, yes...the man looks like he knows what he is doing. Not to mention absolutely hot.

Her Majesty stared at her daughter. Gauging BaoZang's sincerity in approaching this thing she wants to do. "You look determined to do this. I can see that."

"I am," BaoZang nodded decisively. "I know this is out of the norm and could ruin my reputation as a princess but..."

"Oh this is not out of the norm," the Queen cut into BaoZang's monologue. My sister in law and I eyed the Queen with surprise. "It is not?" I blinked while asking.

The Queen chuckled. "A Queen or a princess having a "favourite" is not out of the usual. Even the great Elizabeth the First is not really a virgin when she died. She had affairs. The Empress of the old times were allowed to have discreet liasons other than with her Emperor. It is a whispered tradition. Kings and Emperors has their concubines, Empresses and Queens have their "favourites"."

"So its alright for me to do this?" BaoZang asked.

"You are a fully grown woman with personal needs. As long as you intend to fulfill your duty to the crown and our royal family then having a discreet affair with someone of your own choosing is not something I will personally judge harshly." The Queen said. "And dare I say, your father won't be against it either."