Bribes

(KHAN SE ONG)

Like the Consort, I only see the Crown Prince's images in TV and prints. And what I see in TV and prints doesn't impress me. In person, the Crown Prince is impressive. He is tall and broad shouldered that gave him the aura of reliability.

And those eyes. Those dark pools that can pierce you and will give you a feeling that the Prince is reading your soul and discovering all your sins.

So sure, he is impressive. But I am a Khan and we don't really do cowering well. Even in the presence of power.

"So, my husband hired you..."

"He lied to me several times, Your Highness." I said. "He said he won't hire me. That he will drag this replacement whatever to make things difficult for uncle. Then he said he will only ask one question, he asked several of them. What is going on?"

"What's going on is that my husband hired you. That's what's goin on." The Crown Prince regarded me intently. "And that means you have to understand one thing in this place. In this Palace..."

"The Consort has to be protected at all times," I said.

The Crown Prince turned silent. I inwardly winced. Did I step out of bound? I scratched my fingers on my thigh. Over the fabric of the pants I am wearing.

But I didn't think I said anything wrong. That's what Uncle Chong said. Save the Consort, save the world. Everyone in the Palace is happy. Isn't that it?

The Crown Prince nodded after that moment of silence. "Alright. I think you get what your job will be. You are dismissed. Tell my Chief Aide to come back here. We have more work to do." His Highness looked down at a file on the table.

But I have questions though. "Why is he the most important Royal?" I asked because I can't stop myself. "I mean, the King and Queen are still alive. You are here. The Princess...?"

"Because Dayu is our bridge from our past to our future," the Crown Prince said. He leaned his body at the backrest of his chair. "I will be King one day, caring for my people and making sure our country is stable and revered by other Nation will be my top concerns. For the rest, my Consort will handle those. Among us, Dayu will be the one who will shoulder a lot of things to ensure our legacy, our rich heritage and our name will continue to be celebrated among these lands. You think that's an easy thing to undertake?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't think so."

"Yes," the Crown Prince nodded. "My husband's life will not be easy. From managing our home to raising our heirs, from showing courage and strength to be a role model to many to charming everyone. From trusting me to be a good husband to having faith in me to be a good King. From being hounded by the media to protecting our family's privacy. All of those things, Dayu will have to juggle them. He has barely started his life as a royal yet he is already swamped with works and he is doing them all with a smile on his face and a light heart. Tell me, if you have someone like that in your life...won't you think he is the most important too?"

"I don't know..." I said honestly. Just thinking of all the duties the Consort has, I am getting dizzy already.

"Well, I know. I am aware of the importance of having someone like the Consort in my life. It's making me want to protect him at all cost. That's why I am talking to you. Chong seems to trust you. My husband saw something in you that's why he hired you. I trust Chong and I trust Dayu more. So I am putting you on probation. And I need you to tell me that you understand what your job is..."

"To protect the Consort," I said.

"And in turn, you will protect our entire family's legacy," the Crown Prince said. "In protecting Dayu, you are protecting the Crown. You are protecting the Royal Family. Our future standing on the world." His Highness gave me a small smile. "This is an enormous understaking and I hope you are the man for the job. I think you know what I can do to people who jeopardizes the life of the person whose my whole life is depending on. My Consort is my life. He is almost literally my everything. Protect him well and I will justly compensate you for your efforts."