Fleeting

(LAO)

A miracle was handed to us.

The Queen Dowager woke up from her coma.

All of us raced back to the hospital when a crying Dayu, who stayed there for a vigil with Qing, called to say that the old Queen is awake.

It gave us all hope.

But the thing about hope is, sometimes it can be...fleeting.

"She is awake but she is still in the critical condition. There is still a blockage in her heart's vein that can cause another stroke or a massive attack," the heart doctor in charge of the Queen Dowager's care regretfully said.

"But she is awake, can we do the surgery now?" Qing asked hopefully.

The doctor shook his head. "Nothing has changed on that score too, your Highness. If we put her in surgery with anesthesia, it can kill her. She is still too frail to survive surgery. I am sorry."

Dayu hugged Qing. The King nodded.

"She is awake. That is what's important." The King is looking for the positive point. "Can we talk to her? Can she speak?"

"We will examine her more to see if she can communicate with us," the doctors bowed and went back to the room to examine the Queen Dowager more.

The King pats Qing's shoulder. "She is awake. That is good. This is more than what we expect. She is a fighter, Qing."

Qing is the most disappointed that the old Queen is still not on the clear. We will need another miracle. A miracle for her body to recover well enough for her to undergo surgery.

Or else, she is one massive heart attack away from the worst possible scenario.

After a few minutes, the doctors came out again. They nodded to the King, "She can speak. She can communicate, your Majesty."

A collective exclaimed of happiness filled that hallway.

"You can talk to her but you cannot give her any stress or overwhelm her. Only one person can sit by her and give her some interval as to not to tire her too much." Is the doctor's instructions to us.

The King was the obvious first choice to sit by his mother. We stayed in that hallway as to not overwhelm the Queen Dowager will all our presence. But I am sure the King will tell her that we are all here and glad that she finally woke up.

Two hours later, the King went out of the room. His eyes red from crying but there is a smile on his face. "She is resting again. But she can talk clearly. Let's give her some time to rest before someone talks to her again."

We all look at the Queen but she shook her head. "You talk to her next," she look at Qing.

Dayu smiled at his husband. Qing nodded. So Dayu and Qing went inside the room. They will wait there for the Queen Dowager to wake up again from her rest and Qing will talk to her.

I sat between Chong and Baozang in the lined waiting chairs outside the room. The King and Queen took my Uncle Shouwei to talk to him about announcing the new development on the old Queen's condition.

"I think I should get married soon," Baozang said as she sat on my left side. Chong and I look at her.

"Why?" I asked her. She turned her body to me and lick her lower lip. "Gege, life is short. This proves it. We are young today, I know, but there is not guarantee that we will reach GrandMa's age. I mean, accident happens all the time. We don't know what can happen tomorrow or next week. We have to seize life, now!"