A Happy Friend

(DAYU)

Our parents gave us precious advices about childcare.

"Control the aircon in the room. It shouldn't be too cold, the baby will catch cold. Remember, their immune system are not that established yet," said my mother.

"Don't even try to clean his inner ear yet. Don't stick a cotton bud there. Just clean the outer side. Its alright. And also, don't let water enter his ear." The queen was adamant about that.

"Don't try to do anything when he is asleep. Nap as well. If you clean around as they sleep, you'll get knock out. As he rest, try to rest with him. When he is awake and not demanding attention, just content to be in his bassinet, thats when you clean and do things around him." Said my father who helped my Mama take care of infant me.

"Don't spoil him," was the King's simple advice before grinning. "Thats our job. Right, my Love?" He smiled at the queen.

We had dinner last night with the King, Queen and BaoZang. My sister in law was the most awed at our son.

"How can he be so perfect like this?" She asked while carrying Yong. "Look at him. Oh so precious."

"I think you are just biased," Qing quipped relaxedly by my side in the long couch. In this visit, we didn't get to hold Yong because our three royal visitors fight among themselves whose turn it was to carry our son.

BaoZang stuck her tongue out to her brother. "Even so, he is a handsome boy. Right, Baba?" She asked the King who nodded to agree. "Yes, he is a handsome boy. Now let me have him. Its my turn."

"Ah no," BaoZang turned her back to the King. "Its only been five minutes. Mama held him for almost half an hour."

The King tsked. "BaoZang, I am the King. Give me my heir." He made beckoning gestures with his hands.

Qing sputtered. "Baba, I am your heir. Our son is my heir."

BaoZang laughed. "Fine, carry Qing ge if you can Baba."

The Queen and I laughed with her. Its like any normal scene of a family. We had this moment because Yong came into our life.

That name, the Royal Family approved.

"Yong is a good name," the King, who finally got to carry his grandson, said. "Our Yong will indeed be brave."

The queen patted my hand. "You both did well choosing that name. Its a strong name for a prince."

Qing and I chose the name Yonggan for our son, not just to wish for him to be brave, but to show our son that courage is something one needs to be able to reach for their happiness. We want our son to be brave to choose happiness, to turn away from hate, and to show kindness and vulnerability even though he'll be mock for it.

If our Yong will be brave enough to live a righteous path, though it may be filled with trials that he could fail, we will be proud of him. Qing also told me an important quality of a King.

"My King Dao once told me that to be a King, one should be selfish. To accept and receive everything. Good and bad. Praise and criticism. Success and failures. All of it, a King must know how to take it. I want our Yong to be brave to face the bad things, the criticisms and the failures. So he can appreciate the good, the praises and the successes more."

Its a solid reasoning, so we go for Yong.

The King and Queen also discussed the unsavory talks going on in the internet.

"You shouldn't let such things mar the happiness you are both feeling for the arrival of your heir?" The King said sagely. "I know public perceptions and opinions are things we should consider because we are here to serve the public but it shouldn't rule our lives. We are allowed to celebrate this moment. We are allowed this happiness."