High Tower

(QING)

I cannot believe we were reduced to this.

Awkward, uncomfortable silence.

I think Dayu's bodyguard and I have issues we have to tackle.

But you see...Chong and I...

"Do we really have to address this?" Chong asked while standing with me on the kitchen. We have a whole island counter between us. And we are alone in the Pavilion's kitchen but still, the space feels stifled. Like the air is heavy with tension.

"Do you think we should address this?" I asked Dayu's bodyguard back.

We stared at each other. Chong is taller than me. By hair breath. Just one inch. We are both tall, broad shouldered and, I will admit this, enigmatically handsome. But while I am in a more dreamy side, Dayu's term for me, Chong is on the gruffier side. With day old shadow on his chin and jaw and rougher exterior.

What I am trying to say...Chong and I are about the same. Except we are totally opposite. Especially with our opinions about my Consort.

"Dayu is an angel," I say.

"Dayu is a mess," is Chong's opinion.

We agreed on Lao though.

"Lao is perfect, especially as a friend and aide." I say.

"Yes he is," Chong agreed.

See...the same yet not really. That's me and Chong. That sums us up.

So this silence between us. How do we fill this up?

"Nah," I gave up. "Just do your thing," I said to Chong. I have no intention of controlling the man. Or boss him around. Dayu can do that for us. Or if all else fail, I will go the Lao route.

Chong nodded, smiling and satisfied. "That's what I thought too. Dayu should really get pointers from you, your Highness. You are easy to talk to. Dayu..."

"He is fine. You just don't get Dayu..." I say.

Okay, I will be honest. Half the time, I am also not sure what my Consort will do next or how to react to the outrageous things that came out of his kissable lips. But I developed a method of handling moments when those confusing things happen.

I just went with the flow. Nod when Dayu needs me to nod. Scowl when Dayu needs me to scowl. Smile when Dayu needs me to smile. Simple. Easy. Basic. Hassle free.

It's called "Going with Dayu". Just going with my Consort. Whatever he wants, whatever he needs. So far, it's proving helpful. I don't get confuse anymore, since I stopped trying to understand everything Dayu does, and Dayu is happy with me. I am winning if you ask me.

And winning is good. Especially when it comes to gaining my Consort's love.

If Dayu smiles at me, if my Consort is happy, then I am happy. Simple. Easy. Hassle free.

I should give lessons to all husbands now. I think I am getting this right. This "being a good husband" thing.

But going back to Chong, I think I should give him an advice. "Stop trying to understand everything your partner do. Sometimes, going with the flow is the way. Same with Dayu. Don't try understanding everything he does. Just go with the flow." I said.

Chong snorted at me, "Does that gave you peace? That kind of thinking makes you sleep at night...?" He asked, judgment in his eyes that I ignored completely.