Level Up

(LAO)

Chong and I were both silenced after hearing Qing and Dayu's plan on how their surrogacy to beget heirs will go.

Chong cleared his throat. "You will use two women. One for egg donor. Another for carrying the baby. Am I right?"

We all winced at him. "Your term...use is a bit..." Dayu look at Qing for support.

"We don't want to associate the term "use" to the women who will be involved in this process..." Qing explained evenly. "We will not use them. It will be a business transaction sure but no one will be using anyone for anything."

Chong shrugged, "Sure. If that will lighten up your conscience,"

"Chong!" Dayu flushed unhappily.

I glared angrily at Chong who backed down uneasily and winced, "I am not saying that you will take advantage of those women. But this is the truth. You need those women to have children."

"But the term "use" is a bit insensitive. Dayu and Qing don't use people, Chong." I defended my friends.

Chong frowned. Then he nodded. "You are right. Of course, the Prince and the Consort are not those kind of people who coldly use anyone for gain. I am sorry if I offended anyone."

Dayu was clearly distressed. His shoulders slumped, "Oh who are we kidding? Chong is right. We need those women. For egg, to carry the baby. We will use them."

"But not coldly or unconcerned." I said to Dayu. "You are not bad people who will use anyone then discard them. It's a cold and painful not to mention stressful process but it's necessary. You both need heirs. And this is the process we need to go through." I gave Chong another angry glare. He planted that ugly image on Dayu's head. He knew how sensitive Dayu is. Chong will surely hear from me after this. He is distressing the Consort.

Chong sighed, "Lao is right." He had to redeem himself. "The people pushed the two of you to make this decision. You cannot adopt, it's not acceptable. You don't want concubines and frankly that is just asking for trouble. Marriage is between two people. It's hard enough that the whole country is looking into your married life, if you add a concubine on that mix, it will be the highest rating soap opera ever."

Qing nodded in agreement. Putting an arm around Dayu to reassure his Consort, "That is why we opted to reject that concubine proposal. We are left with surrogacy because our heirs had to have Royal blood."

"And surrogacy is a medical procedure at best. It will be all Science and cold logic. You and Dayu had to ready yourselves." I gave my friends an encouraging nod.

"Thank you, Lao." Dayu gave me a grateful smile.

Dayu is going through a lot. Mourning the passing of the Queen Dowager, observing traditions and now this, making a decision that's not only unprecedented but also controvesial. He and Qing are going through a lot. Qing is no better, aside from his responsibilities as Prince, he is busy at the Royal Hotel and being a husband to Dayu, being a brother to Baozang and a son to his parents. Qing had to consider everyone before making one small step.

My problems compared to them is much simpler.

Yet, I already feel like a boulder was placed on my shoulder.

I still haven't decided when and where to meet Tan Zhou. I message the man from Chong's past telling him that I will be busy because of the passing of the Queen Dowager and Tan Zhou seemed to understand. He messaged me to say:

"Just tell me when and where. I really want to talk to you about Chong."

In truth? I don't know what we need to talk about. Chong is...a man of his own. I don't see the point of discussing Chong to anyone. Surely not with someone who belongs to Chong's past.