Good Partners

(LAO)

"Sanity. Say you will bring some semblance of sanity in this family," Chong grumbled against my ear while our food is being served. The restaurant staffs coming in saved me from answering the patriach's question about what I can add to this family.

I admit, I was flustered. I realized I am used to being the smartest one in every room I have been in. Even when I am with Qing, I know there are instances when I am smarter than my Crown Prince.

But today, I realized, I am surrounded by keen and intelligent people. Chong's family may be rough around the edges but they are perspective and keen observers. Very smart. These people are thinking and I find that both unsettling and comforting.

Unsettling because that means I also have to think hard not to trip and make stupid mistakes or say the wrong thing as I show my best side for Chong's family to like me. Comforting because I see that Chong's family cares so much about my boyfriend that they are willing to put my feet on hot coals to make sure I am treating Chong right.

I like that.

When the staffs were finished putting our food on the table, they all look scrumptious and delectable, I turned to Chong. "You think that would work?" I asked my boyfriend.

"What would work?" Mr.Khan asked sharply.

I smiled at him. "Chong told me to say sanity. He said I could say I will bring a semblance of sanity to this family."

Chong's father and brothers blinked at me. Miss SheYin chuckled while Chong's nephew and niece turned contemplative. "I don't think that is such a bad deal. God knows we could use some ounce of sanity in this family." Khan CaiLin said. She may not be as delicate looking as Princess Baozang but there is something truly pretty about her. Its probably her eyes, they are quite expressive.

I couldn't help laughing softly at their serious expressions. Chong's family are thinking about this all too deeply. And to think they haven't told me all their names yet, although I do know them all because I have read Chong's files several times and Chong himself has told me a great deal about his family.

Chong's father, Khan Jiao, who never formally acknowledge Chong as his son. Khan Jiao's wife, Madam Khan, the woman who raised Chong with love. Khan MuLong, Chong's protective older brother and a friend of the King. Miss SheYin, Chong's sister in law. Chong XingXing, Chong's other protective older brother. Khan Se Ong and Khan CaiLin, Chong's twin nephew and niece.

"Cai is right," Khan Se Ong said. "We should start stacking our family with sane people to balance our craziness."

"We are not crazy," Khan Jiao growled at his grandson.

"We are just intense," Miss SheYin winked at me again. "I used to be so normal until I married into this family. Now I had to be a shrew every two weeks to get everyone to call me and prove that they are still alive."

"Oh my..." I don't know what to say to that.

"Honey...not now..." Mr.Khan looked resigned to the inevitable.

"Yes, please stop Jiejie." Chong snorted. "You were never normal. You decided to marry Khan. Thats not normal at all."

"Hey, thats mean." Miss SheYin grumbled to Chong.

"Will you all behave?" Madam Khan sighed. "We need Lao to like us."

"We don't need him to like us," Khan Jiao grunted. "He's the one who has to prove to us that there is something likeable about him."

Madam Khan frowned. "You are scaring him away. This is the first time Chong decided to let us meet his boyfriend. What will you do if Lao decided we are too scary for him to stay? Will you take responsibility for that?"