Noble

(DAYU)

"Why do you like Khan Se Ong? Why?" I asked my husband...well, more like pestering him.

Qing blinked at me. "Are you still on that? Its already the weekend, my Love. It has been a couple of days ago since I said I like your bodyguard."

"Yeah, I can't get over it. So tell me, why do you like him?"

"Well, why do you like him?" My husband volleyed the question back to me.

"Because..." I searched my brain of the reason why I like my bodyguard. "He's honest." Thats what I came up with. And its the truth, I like how honest Khan Se Ong is...I just don't like it when his honesty sometimes clash with my ideas.

"True," Qing smiled as he took my hand. He raised his other hand to wave to the public. We are currently trailing the King and Queen as they address the people in an annual event for National artists and musicians. Later tonight, there'll be a free concert. We wouldn't attend that one for security reasons thats why we are in the day event, it is still important for people to see that the Royal Family support artists in this country.

"But the reason why I like Khan Se Ong is the fact that he knows how important you are and how grave his job is. That is, protecting you. Plus, he doesn't look like someone overly ambitious," Qing added that last part almost like an afterthought.

I frowned at that. "Overly ambitious meaning what? He looks like someone who won't have any design to push you off your throne and take over it using BaoZang? Like the former guy..." the former guy being Heise, of course.

"Precisely," Qing nodded.

I snorted at that. "You speak like Khan Se Ong has a chance to be your brother in law."

"Maybe he could be." Qing shrugged nonchalantly as he said those words.

My eyes widened. "He's a commoner." I hissed at Qing. "You already married a commoner, do you think the Royal Council will permit it if BaoZang will also tie the knot with someone whose not from a noble family?"

Not that I have anything against BaoZang marrying Se Ong or any commoner as long as BaoZang loves them and she'll be happy and protected in that marriage.

"Everyone is a commoner compared to the Royal Family." My husband grumbled.

"I get that." I nodded. "I do know that. But still, we all know that even with people who has common blood, there's still a form of hierarchy everyone recognizes. Like the fact that there are families and bloodlines who could trace their lineage back to the Middle Ages as they have served former Emperors."

"We are not in the Middle Ages," Qing retorted with a smile.

"But the rules the Royal Family follows feel like we are still living in the Middle Ages," I said before craning my neck a little to the back. "Right, Lao?"

Lao, who has been standing behind us as Qing and I discreetly converse about this issue, sighed. "Thats true. Nothing is more conservative and steeped in our ancient tradition than the Royal Family and Royal Council. The fact that you two got married was practically a miracle and it was all because the public bought the idea that King Dao bind you two together with his wedding ring."

I instinctively covered my left hand where King Dao's wedding ring and my own wedding ring are nestled on my fourth finger.

"What I want for my sister doesn't matter," Qing said and his made me focus on him. He smiled at me. "I know I talk a big game about her following traditions or the rules of the Royal Family and Council...but BaoZang always has a choice. Unlike me..."