Chapter 46| Feelings

Chapter 46: Feelings

Tracy

At 4p.m on dot, I took off my apron and went to return it to the kitchen. The room was a bit crowded with chefs in stained aprons and net caps as they processed the white powder into delicious baked snacks. My mouth watered at the samosas before I dragged my feet out of the stuffy room.

"You couldn't even wait a little bit more." Olive teased and passed me my small backpack behind the counter, "Where are you rushing to?"

"I don't know if you noticed but my body clocked in to work today and gone with the wind was my soul the whole time."

"Oh really?" she mused, "And why's that?"

"Ugh, I slept late last night."

"Again, why?"

Stretching a little, I told her, "I stayed up to study and blacked out sometime around three a.m."

"Ooh, I'm impressed. I thought you weren't planning on studying till the school announces sale of form."

"I thought so too but my tutor advised otherwise." I replied tiredly.

"You have a tutor? Since when? Is it a man?"

"Man? No, it's a boy about my age."

"Oh my gosh. Is he cute?" she inquired in excitement and his image crept to my mind. Of course he was cute.

Nah, cute was a word to describe a kitten. He was the most beautiful creation I'd seen in my lifetime and the sight of him would simply wet pants.

"Yeah, kinda." I replied carelessly in contrast to my mushy thoughts.

"So?" Olive leaned forward with a knowing look, "Has he noticed you yet?"

"He's my tutor, Olive. Nothing more, nothing less."

"What are you saying? He's a boy and you're a girl." she gestured with her hands, "Hello! Do the math."

"Bye Olive." I slung my little backpack over my shoulder and headed out.

"You're telling me all about him when we chat later tonight!" she hollered after me and I made a dash for it, away from her tell tales out of school. I could only handle one Chioma at a time.

With my playlist blasting in my ears through my earphones, I took the long walk home and arrived some twenty minutes later.

"I'm home!" I hollered as I got in only to find my mom and her friend in the living room.

"Uh.. good evening ma... mom." I greeted the women.

"How are you, darling?" Aunty Lydia responded with a smile while my mom simply nodded.

"I'm fine." I mustered a smile and made to go.

"Tracy."

I turned around and swallowed, seeing the frown knitted on my mom's face.

"Ma?"

"Sit down." she said, "We want to have a word with you."

lawd, what did I do this time?

"Eri, don't scare her naw." Aunty Lydia chastised her and turned to me with a warm smile, "Don't mind your mom, fine lady. I'm the one who wants to see you."

Feeling a little less tensed, I sat down across them. The pretty woman clasped her hands around her crossed legs and began,

"I want to ask a favor from you actually. You see, my wedding is four days away and the artiste I invited to perform on that day suddenly cancelled on me saying he wouldn't be able to make it. I've listened to you sing with the church choir a couple of times and I'm convinced you know your onions. So I was wondering if you wouldn't mind performing on that day instead."