Chapter 20| Ella's kiss

Chapter 20: Ella's kiss

Christopher

Days flew by interminably into the next month.

Science fact: January was the longest month. You keep longing for it to end but it just takes it time crawling gradually through the thirty-one days.

The harmattan seemed to be getting worse too. Some days it was baking hot and the other days, it was freezing cold.

We had a month and counting to our external exams and we students had begun to take reading more seriously. Lectures had also stopped for thorough revisions. The seniors could be seen nowhere else but the computer lab, science lab, library or the classroom with books.

In Anna's case, I left her alone. I figured it was better I gave her space and time and hopefully she would come around sooner than later. But it was hard. I bumped into her every school day and we happened to be locker neighbours.

Still, I managed to stay clear even when she emerged the winner of the concluded International Olympic games with her friend Suzan, making it to the quarter finale and they had thrown a party in school to celebrate it. I had gone up to her with a bouquet of flowers and given her my warmest congratulations and she had replied with a thank you and a stranger danger treatment thereafter.

There was only a few minutes left to closing so I picked up my bag and made my way out of the huge library. Just then, I noticed Daniella pick up her bag also and hurry after me. I saw what she was trying to do but I was beginning to get bored of her games. She got to know of my current situationship with Anna and she wanted to seize that opportunity to get to me before we reconciled.

Turning a corner, I made a hurried gait towards the stairs at the end of the long hallway.

"Wait up, will you? That's kind of rude you know." Daniella finally caught up with me with a huff, "Be a gentleman for once and stop making me run after you."

"You're wasting your time with me, Ella." I replied over my shoulder without stopping.

"You're just being too difficult, y'know. I'm really not a bad person and I don't know how long it's going to take for you to see that. But I don't care. I'm sure you'll finally see how much I like you and I'm going to wait until you do."

I halted and looked at her in disbelief. It still shocked me how easily she confessed her feelings to a guy.

"There are literally other guys dying to get your attention. Why in fuck's name are you hell-bent on me?"

"I wish I could help myself too but I can't stop thinking about you. And I'm not going to desert you for a completely stupid reason like all your friends did so just stop being so hard and let me be your friend." she said with a grim look.

I took in her appearance. She was in her usual tight fitting uniform with the shirt threatening to expose her cleavages. The wedge heels she had on boosted her height a bit more and she had that same sincere expression on every time she talked to me.

And just then, I calmed. This was a replay of my encounter with Anna, just not as aggressive. I shoved my hands into my pockets and sighed. I agree I might have been a bit harsh on Daniella. Although, I did not find her thesis about me and the guys to be completely true. We all just had too much on our hands to meet as often as we used to.

The more I looked, the more I sunk in deep to her soft features and I just wanted to come to terms with how lonely I felt around here. Letting Anna and the boys in as much as I did was no easy feat in the inner battle that had to be fought. Now that I felt like shit everyday I stepped foot on school grounds, it made me want to regret trying out the good guy front now painted bad. So I ran a hand through my jet black hair, cautiously thinking of my next move.