Chapter 4| House party

Chapter 4: House party

I got to Kelvin's house at noon and after greeting his lovely parents and his kid sister, Cindy, we bound up the stairs towards his room.

"Yo Kev! Do you ever clean?" I said in disgust after sighting his messy room.

He had his clothes dumped on his king-sized bed, his shoe rack was not serving it's purpose and he had CDs scattered all over his reading desk.

"Wow. So you came all the way from home to lecture me about personal hygiene." he replied, looking offended.

When I gave him a questioning look still, he shrugged and said. "Kate will clean it up. Now tell me why you're here all of a sudden."

Kate happened to be their housemaid and I simply gave a shrug to that and sat on his bed while he took the chair.

"Something came up and I needed space, that's why I'm here."

"Spill it Chris, what's up?"

"Father's getting married. I met his fiancèe today."

A second ticked away before Kelvin started chuckling and I silently watched as he keeled over and jerked uncontrollably in laughter.

"You're kidding right?" he asked once his laughter managed to die down.

"I'm dead serious."

He saw my serious look and frowned. "Wow. Nothing's impossible after all."

I gazed into space when he asked, "You don't like her?"

"Dude, I barely know her. I'm just agitated. Where the fuck does that leave me? Look at you Kev, you've got a mother who cares, a father who's there and a kid sis to while away time with. Look at poor ol' me and tell me there's nothing wrong with me." I let out in exasperation and he sighed.

"How many times do I have to tell you Chris, that you should never let anyone treat you like shit. Your father is living his life, so live yours too. Trust me, you don't have shit to worry about. You're smart, good looking and most of all, you have your trust fund once you clock twenty five. Live your life, man."

I nodded, taking in his words.

"Thanks fam. You're the best."

"Speaking of living our lives, let's go to a party I got invited to and maybe we'll be lucky enough to get hooked up with a couple of chics."

"I don't feel like partying."

"Come on, you need it! We'll be on our way by four but before then, come check out my new car."

He got his first car from his father on his birthday a few weeks ago when he clocked seventeen.

~~~

Kelvin pulled up in front a house having other cars lined up in almost every inch of the compound. He found a free spot beside a Mazda and switched off the car's engine.

According to him, it was a birthday party of one college friend he knew but the way at which music blared in the air, it felt more like a club.

I couldn't imagine my father letting me have this kind of party in his house. Before I could pop a balloon in preparation to setting up the place, he would have my ass kicked out of the house.

"I really don't feel like partying." I grunted again.

"Spare me the shit. I didn't come all the way only to go back achieving nothing. So get your ass inside now."

I heaved a sigh of defeat and followed him to the house door. Kelvin was a party type. He knew almost everybody and nobody. I watched him fist-bump friends once we got in and soon got swept up in a group of Hey Kev and Kelvin you came! party freaks. I would have joined them on a normal basis and have Kelvin introduce me as his friend but I chose to wander off instead.

Apart from the wild blast of Rema's Dumebi from the speakers, the people here were pretty loud too. The wide living room was divided into various groups of interest. Some were dancing wildly to the beat, some were playing T or D with strong liquor, some chose to play video games while some couples were making out on the couches. Feels very much like a birthday party.

I found the bar and strolled over to it.

"Martini." I ordered to the acting bartender at the other side of the counter.

He nodded and briskly made my cocktail.

"Thanks." I said and grabbed the drink, taking a swift glance through the crowd. Scanning out for Kelvin's ripped figure, I finally found him talking to some girl who giggled uncontrollably to whatever he said.

flirt.

Looked to me like the predator was doing a nice job on his prey.

"Chris?"

I turned to the voice and became stupefied by the sight.

"Chris! So nice to meet you here. By the way, what are you doing here?"

Wow. Okay, so maybe today wasn't so bad after all.

Shit. I still did not know her name. I saw her the whole week and still did not know her fucking name, how possible was that?

"You know my name, huh?" I mused instead.

"Of course I do. My name's Annabelle." she introduced herself with a warm smile.

"Nice name." I said, committing her name to memory. "I got bundled down here by a friend of mine, you?"

"Same here. A friend of mine wouldn't forgive my absence in partying out her birthday."

"She's the host?"

"Nah. She wanted to party out. Her mom doesn't allow throwing of parties at home since a fight broke out on her last one."

"Oh."

I finally checked her out and let a satisfying smile creep up my lips.

She had her curly hair down her shoulders, a light make-up on her face and a pair of stilettos to go with her knee-high white gown.

Different. Really looked different from the school's costume.

"Are you checking me out?" she asked with an equally amused smile.

"Maybe." I admitted with a smirk and she cackled out a laughter that was music to my ears.

"Okay, are you trying to flirt with me?"

"Is it working?" I retorted with an hopeful look.

Annabelle shook her head, still with the amused grin on her face and finally replied, echoing my previous answer. "Maybe."

A comfortable silence fell on us and I took a sip from my martini.

"You're used to it, aren't you?" I suddenly asked whilst looking into her brown eyes with my blue ones.

Her smile faded a little at my inquiry.

Vote and comment♡.