Chapter 10| Chemistry

Chapter 10: Chemistry

It was a bright Friday afternoon this particular mid-November, weeks before our first term examinations.

The buzzer buzzed for lunch break just as Anna and I locked eyes and smiled simultaneously. I stood up from my seat in the front row desks and strolled over to hers at the other side of the class.

She was putting her Geography textbook and notebook into her pink backpack when I got to her.

"Hey pretty."

"Hi handsome." she answered and collected my notebook from me to be kept in her backpack and collected later.

"Are you ready?"

She placed her hand possessively in mine and stood up from her desk, chanting playfully in response, "Ay ay captain!"

I smiled and we both made our way out.

We've had everything planned out since short break. I wanted time alone with her, to at least get to see more of her. There was barely enough time before morning period began, short break was too short and she had to be back in her hostel after closing while Tobi picked me up.

Though I was planning to ditch school one of these days just to spend more time with her. We would be in trouble if we did so of course. The elected class monitor would take attendance, and if we weren't on it we'd be toast. Our guardians would be informed and we would be grilled to crisp once more.

I loved to live on the edge. I've ditched school several times before with Kelvin despite my father's punishments back in Lagos but I didn't want to drag Anna in on this one.

To my surprise, she agreed to be a part of the shenanigan. Our studies wouldn't be affected and we would have fun together even for a short while. But today, we decided to steal some time together during lunch break.

We walked hand in hand past impatient students and got to the lobby/cafeteria where students, teachers and non-teaching staffs filled the room for no other reason than matters relating to food. We got served in no time and then made our way out the glass doors.

I looked sideways at Anna's pretty and excited face. Asides being an A student, she was noted for her neatness too. I didn't find that hard to believe at all. Her hair was neatly packed to the back with an hairband, leaving behind two strands falling to the side of her face. Her uniform was crisp ironed like a newly bought set and her tie was in a perfect knot, the stylish appearance completed with tennis shoes.

"You know if you smiled wider than that, your lips might break." I teased, slightly squeezing her hand in my hold.

"And whose fault is it?"

"I don't know. I just think you're being a bit over the top. You would think I wouldn't notice you've been on this makeup shit to impress me. You really need to chill."

She pouted and slapped her hand on my chest.

"Ow? Hey woman, you just hit my soft spot." I said, feigning a hurt look.

"That makes two of us, you nitwit."

I muttered something about her being an impetuous one and with the look on her face, she must've heard it.

"How about I drive my knee up your nuts to cement that theory, hm?" she snarled just as we got to the place.

I gasped. "You wouldn't!"

"Is that a dare?"

"Aw, come on princess. I was only joking."

She threw me a playful glare and leaned against the tree.