Chapter 32| Tomboy

Chapter 32: Tomboy

Christopher

I never thought Tracy could call me a friend but above all, it was a bit unexpected that she would accept my behavior despite giving her a cold shoulder.

Despite that, I tried not to think much of it. This wasn't the first time someone tried to care about me and it always ended with me hurting them. It was Kelvin, then Anna and finally Daniella. They offered me their shoulders to lean on and I did nothing but break their spirit in return.

Albert Einstein once said; insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

And I planned to stop being foolish. Most of my friends were sanguine in nature. Outgoing and friendly. I was a complete opposite. And once again, someone accepted me that way. I wasn't going to get attached to anyone else, including Tracy, but I was going to accept them for who they were. People that cared.

Unfortunately, Tracy's mom was the first to drag me back out of that notion.

"Good evening ma."

Her face cracked up into a huge grin in return.

"Christopher! How are you?"

"I'm good." I mumbled with the same stoic face I wore nowadays to give the impression that I had no interest in small talks.

Tracy's mom hadn't gotten the idea.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, her innocent smile unwaivering.

I glanced at Tracy and caught a small frown on her face. Then I responded;

"I met Tracy at the restaurant and decided to drop her off before heading back home."

The woman clasped her hands and grinned wider, if that was even possible.

"Oh, that was very thoughtful of you son. Come on in, I was just about to make dinner."

"That won't be necessary, mom. He was just about to leave." Tracy quickly chipped in and her mother fed her a look of scorn.

"Yes actually," I said, "I was just about to head home when I sighted you."

Kelvin had been hysterical on the phone earlier and he kept going on and on about why I had to steal his car without asking and leaving him stranded with old people back at home. I had to assure him that I was on my way home to calm his party nerves.

So I pulled a desperate look, hoping Tracy's mom would buy it. She didn't.

"Oh please, I'm sure Lydia and her husband won't mind me borrowing you for a couple of minutes."

With a beam, she latched firmly on my wrist and dragged me in after her. Speechless and with so many questions to ask, like if this was at all legal, I looked to Tracy for help.

Rolling her eyes, she said, "I'll fetch the car keys."

no! Save me! I thought as she turned away from me.

So, here I was. In the Williams abode and it wasn't a part of my plan.

There was only one word to describe Tracy's home and that was cozy. It was small, warm and comfortable. Back home, our living room alone was thrice as spacious as theirs and our ceiling was nowhere near reach.

Giddily, I reached out and my hand almost grazed their white ceiling. A smile crept to my lips when I saw a picture frame hanging on the wall. It was Tracy. Or should I say, a cute ten year old Tracy. She was in a school uniform and her dreadlocks fell past her shoulders.