Chapter 34| Sleepover

Chapter 34: Sleepover

Tracy

I went back to watching the movie but didn't get as high-strung as before. His touch calmed my insides and the movie became a distraction to the gesture instead. I stopped resisting his hold and let his warm palm clasp mine and my fingers interlock with his. His expression was quite impenetrable and neither did he spare me a glance thereafter.

The rain subsided some thirty minutes into the movie and the movie itself lasted for an hour, ending when the time read six p.m.

They all broke into chatters, discussing how the movie ended as the Tv displayed the ending credits and Christopher slowly ripped his hand from mine. My hand immediately lost the warmth that came with his and I glanced at him but he looked elsewhere.

"It's getting late guys. Let's be on our way." Adam suggested as he stood up.

Everyone got up from the floor too and stretched out. I rose after Christopher and in perplexity, stayed back to watch the enigma as he headed out of the house without saying a word.

They became a bit loud as Michael and Charlie raced out of the house to get the car's shotgun while Daniella was laughing at something the dreads guy, Richard had said. I suddenly felt sad that they were leaving and our living room lost its liveliness as they trooped out the door. Reluctantly, I headed out after them.

"Kelvin, please I'm going with you guys so you can drop me off at the bus stop." Chioma hollered to Kelvin who had his arm wrapped around Paul's neck as they trudged towards the gate.

Staying behind in my verandah, I dropped my elbows on the balustrade and watched them leave. Once Kelvin gave Chioma his affirmative response, she twirled around to give me her signatory gossip smile.

"I have news for you Tee."

Eying her in skepticism and disinterest, I said. "What is it?"

I had a feeling this was about our classmates or her boring fashion talks which I had zero interest in. But I waited patiently as she reached into her back pocket and brought out her phone.

"I've spent quality time trying to find anything on Kelvin and Christopher and you won't believe how popular these guys are."

I leaned up from the railing and retorted, "I guess their popularity adds figures to my bank account so this talk is very fruitful."

"This is not a matter of sarcasm. I'm serious, girl."

"Fine," I breathed, "gist queen. The stage is yours."

"Anyway," and she was back in the gossip mode, "I looked up Christopher Thompson on Facebook since he mentioned his last name in the car on Sunday. His timeline holds only little interest and I'm actually disgusted at the little effort the both of you put into making a social life."

I rolled my eyes and still couldn't tell just how this talk profited me.

"So I looked into his bio and clicked on his school page which only published articles on the school's achievements and all those boring stuff. But as the five star media detective that I am, I clicked on a facebook group recommended on the page as relating to it and found exactly what I was looking for."

Giddily, she clapped and went on without catching her breath. "The school group is owned by the students and the group admin is that girl over there in a crop top-" she nodded in Daniella's direction who, together with Christopher, Adam and Richard, waited behind to have a discussion.

"You mean Daniella. So?"

"Yes, Daniella. Well, I took my time reading their posts and comments back to back-"