Chapter 47| Jealous

Chapter 47: Jealous

Tracy

On the last day of the month of May and a day to the wedding, I had my luggage for two days packed and ready. I was to be at Christopher's any minute now to leave with him and his friends for the resort.

The past few days, I've been rehearsing hard on perfecting the original I was to perform at the wedding dance hall. In the bathroom, as I studied, in the restroom at work, every where I found myself, I was singing the song over and over and making adjustments where necessary.

So this day, I was excited enough to wake up earlier and have breakfast in a rush. When I was done, I went to my brother's room and he opened the door after two knocks.

"I'll be on my way." I said softly and he smiled and pulled me to a hug.

I made sure to rest my head on his peaceful chest as his arms caged me into the warmth of his embrace, and we stayed like that for a while.

"I'll see you tomorrow then." he told me once he pulled away, "Have you rehearsed enough for your first show?"

That brought the tingling sensation to my chest and I chuckled and looked down so he won't see my nervousness.

"Yeah, I have."

"Alright, let me see you off."

I nodded and led the way to the living room where I had dropped my bags. My mom was reclined on a chair watching Tv when we got to the parlor.

"All set?" she asked once she looked up at me.

"Yes, mom."

"Good, call me once you get there. And make sure not to disappoint us tomorrow. Lydia is counting on you not to mess things up." she stated mechanically and turned back to the Tv.

mess things up?

My temper flew skyhigh in no time. "Why do you always focus on the negativities when it comes to me, mom?"

My mother slowly sat upright on the chair with a pointed look. I knew anytime from now I was dead meat, but I was feeling brave at the moment and I wanted to seize the opportunity to say all I had in mind.

"Young lady, do you realize who you're talking to in that manner?"

"Tracy, let's go." Tristan tugged my sleeve but I jerked out of his hold and edged forward.

"I know you're not supportive of me being a singer but can you please stop trying to pull me down? A good mother should encourage her child in her ambitions and not increase her anxiety by telling her not to mess things up."

"Are you alright?" she berated, "Tracy tell me, are you sure you're in your right senses? What are you trying to say? That I'm a bad mother?"

"I didn't say so, but I'm tired of trying everything I can to please you when the only thing you do is make me feel bad for not being as smart as Tristan or choosing to be a doctor or a lawyer. I love singing and it's my dream to sing for a living and I want you to respect that."

"Oh," my mom got up on her feet and I stepped back as she spat in anger, "so I'm the evil mom for trying to stop you from embarking on a journey you'll only regret in future? What are you even thinking will result from singing for a living? Fame? Money?

Well, let me tell you if you don't know. At the age of forty, you'll look back and wish you had made the right choice rather than being delusional in your youth. Even if you do become successful from being a musician, you plan on exposing your body parts to the public's amusement and to jump from one man to another so as to retain fame in the industry?"