Chapter 52| Fanboy

Chapter 52: Fanboy

Christopher

On Thursday, just five days after my father's wedding and two days after Anna left coma, WASSCE results were out. It was forty-five days after we concluded the exams so everyone was in a fuss to check their results.

I didn't really sleep at night and so did other insomniac students who were up for an entirely different reason. Everyone had been checking their results on the online portal and fussing about it on every social media already. I went out for an early morning jog and confirmed the release from the morning radio broadcast before deciding to check mine.

Despite being confident I did well, I lost enthusiasm just because I knew what was to come. My dad would throw his adult tantrums if my results didn't suit his taste or he would make sure to stare at it for hours with a satisfactory smile if they did meet his expectations. That was how it's always been anyway, but he would carry out his verdict after seeing my results and I wasn't looking forward to it. I guess I'd finally get to know whether I was studying here or overseas.

I sat down and opened my laptop wishing I could wait another day to do this but it was now or well... later. I had to know now to be prepared beforehand lest my dad beat me to it. I pulled up the WAEC portal and filled in my details only to hesitate again. Retracting my vision, I stared at my reflection on the screen until I built back the courage I needed to click on the submit icon.

The page loaded and shortly after, my exam results displayed on the monitor, slamming my worst fears in my face. I didn't know how to feel about it exactly. I was disappointed and satisfied at the same time.

"Here goes nothing." I mumbled without tearing my eyes away from the screen.

My phone buzzed on the desk and I picked it up and answered it.

"You've seen it. Haven't you?" Kelvin teased.

I've gotten used to his trips between my home and his that I immediately waved him off when he told me he was heading back to Lagos yesterday. He knew me better than anyone else to be calling exactly when I needed him to.

"Yeah." I said quietly and it got silent on the other end before I added, "You?"

"Yeah, I have. It's better than what I expected but I'm sure yours is a shit ton better. Well half sure, since I was waiting for you to rub the good news on my face only for you to be sounding dull. Is everything okay?"

I leaned back on my chair and glanced at my grades again. If only I could tell him what was to come. But if I did, it would break him and I would feel a lot more worse about it.

"It's fine. Everything's fine." I half lied, hoping that would get him to shut up.

It's been a long time coming and now, my trashy life was about to be flushed down the drainage for good. I was being extra and pessimistic about this but since nothing was certain at the moment, the least I could do was stay hopeful or get ready to put up a fight with my father.

"Good to hear then. Just stop being moody again or I'll really need to get you laid. It's tiring to see you bitching about a girl. Or two girls. Have you even decided on what to do about the triangle situation?"

At least he thought this was about my love life. That was a worry too but I had a bigger situation at hand, about to have rather. I think.