Chapter 5| People change

Chapter 5: People change

Another song came on and it was the kind that made your blood rush and your heart pound to the beat.

I looked into her brown eyes with my blue ones.

"Yup. It's become a daily routine turning guys down and dealing with the ones that don't accept no for an answer." was her flippant reply.

"Are you trying to say I don't stand a chance?" I joked, holding a hand to my wounded heart.

"I don't think so." she smirked and I humored her with a hand illustration of a broken heart.

"So, how long have you been in Chrisland?"

"Three years." she said. "I've been attending the school since year one."

"Nice." I muttered, taking another sip of my drink.

After that, the silence between us was more deafening than the blaring music that surrounded us.

"You don't really socialize with others in class I noticed." I stated, breaking the awkward silence between us.

I was a good observer and the first thing I did at school was be the observer before I approached or got approached. Annabelle here had been exceptionally quiet and cold the entire week.

"I prefer to think everyone is a dick and everything I've done in that school has been nothing but a major gossip fad."

wait, what?

"I think you're the only one having that problem." I said in all honesty.

We got interrupted by a group of university students cheering for a girl who was bent over and busy grinding her arse into a guy's crotch. Sure enough, they were doing the game of showing off twerking skills.

I looked over at Anna and caught her throw a disgusted look at the twerking couple.

not a fan huh?

She looked back at me before diverting her gaze to the countertop just as quickly.

"It's funny how you're a newbie but rose to the most wanted on girls' list this past week." she snickered and had this look that suggested it was all a bad idea.

"Nice to hear." I chimed before gulping down the remaining cocktail.

"You don't have an accent." Anna pointed out.

"Neither do you." I retorted.

"I've been in Nigeria ever since I was twelve. I have an accent but I like to fit in."

baby, I'd prefer you stick out... your tongue for my dick.

"Okay." I sighed. "I've been here my whole life actually. My mom was American but she's late now."

"I see. Sorry about your mom."

I bobbed my head with a light smile. After that, the conversation just pretty much kept flowing.

We chattered on for about ten minutes before I lost count of time. It was as though we needed to know every detail of each other before the day ran out. At some point, we made body contact when I helped her brush a strand of her hair to the back of her ear, and she absentmindedly placed a hand on my lap as we talked about the benefits of being biracial.

Turned out she was a smartass, as she was quite articulate and had always been a top student in school.

Later on, about two hours or so, Kelvin announced his departure and that gave me the cue to leave.