Chapter 12| Ex

Chapter 12: Ex

We became free again from the gruesome exam fever that lasted two weeks.

I still went to school though, as it would be simply boring at home. Well, not so boring since granny and aunt Lydia were home, but I liked it better when I was with people my age.

And besides, I couldn't stand a day without seeing Anna. She was going home today even though we were not on vacation yet, but not until after school hours.

She would follow a bunch of others going with the school bus to Lagos and come over to my house tomorrow for my birthday party. She wasn't waiting for the term's result but would receive it by January when we resumed.

Presently, I was in the school's cafeteria with the guys. I was with them when I was not with Anna, and Anna was back in her dorm busy packing her bags with her lunch period... Not that we were having any lesson afterwards anyway.

Laughter buzzed around our table from a joke Charlie cracked but I was too preoccupied with the thought of Anna that I didn't catch up on what he said that sent the other guys throwing their heads backward in laughter.

Richard noticed my daze and asked what was wrong.

"Nothing." I replied.

"Probably thinking of his love-stricken life with Anna." Charlie said in distaste.

Paul rolled his eyes in response.

"Hey come on. Anna is a really cool person. I don't understand why you guys hate her so much."

"You shouldn't be with that girl Chris. She's proud, selfish, wicked, arrogant and sooo not worth your time." Paul interjected, stressing the “so” to make his point.

"I don't know what he sees in her. I can proudly say Ella is a hundred percent better off." Charlie added.

"Please guys. She's my girlfriend, period. Besides, the only reason you're all mad at her is because she didn't agree to date any of you so deal with it."

They scoffed in response.

"Who wants a girlfriend when we have video games?" Charlie boasted to no one in particular and I gave him a pointed look.

We were four at the table. The other two who were identical twin brothers stopped coming to school after our last exam paper. They had travelled abroad for the holidays.

"Shut up you dumb fuck." Paul directed at him.

My eyes flickered over to Richard whose attention was somewhere else. Tracing his line of vision, I saw that his affectionate gaze was on Daniella and I didn't fail to notice the longing in his eyes as he watched the oblivious make her way out of the canteen with a friend of hers.

His attention returned to the table eventually and he caught me watching him watch her. Squirming under my questioning gaze, he sunk back into his seat and looked elsewhere.

"Holy shit Richie. You like Ella!?" I exclaimed.

The other guys whipped their heads to Richard and I.

"What do you mean?" Paul inquired.

"I just caught him shamelessly ogling her."

Richard gave me a 'seriously bro?' look but I smirked in return.

"You're kidding right?" Charlie questioned with wide eyes. "Richard likes Ella?"

"Do you need cotton buds or do you have a major ear problem?" Paul snapped at him.