Chapter 33| Panic attack

~Long author note at the end of the chapter. Hope you take your time to read it. :D

Chapter 33: Panic attack

Christopher

"What are you guys doing here?" I inquired once Tracy left the living room.

"Chris, you barely reached out to us, any of us. So we decided to visit after hearing you talked yourself into a suicide attempt." Richard explained.

I cocked my head to Kelvin with a look of disapproval.

"I only told Richard." he defended and I resisted the urge to go to him and give him a smack on the head for being such an idiot.

"Why would you even think of it?" Paul chipped in, "Look, we're all to blame for what happened so you really need to stop making this about you."

"Don't worry about it."

"I mean, you're the last person that should resort to depression and–"

"Paul, I said don't worry about it." I bellowed out and everyone fell silent.

Eventually, Mike spoke up.

"Well, congratulations on your JAMB feat."

"Thanks."

"See guys," it was Charlie who spoke, "I think there's so much that's happened in the past year that we've known each other and whatever has tried to keep us apart should be kept behind us for now."

"Yeah, that's right. We all should bury any grudges left here and now. Each one of us made mistakes, including Anne. She has been destined to end up like that and instead of putting the blame on anyone, we should all try as much as possible to move past it. No more fights, no more arguments, no more grudges and definitely not one more single attempt at suicide."

Richard gave me a look at his last word and everyone nodded in agreement.

"What are you doing here, if you don't mind me asking. And who's the girl?" Adam asked, speaking up for the first time today.

"She's nobody. I just happen to know her." I replied offhandedly.

"You guys dating?"

At Charlie's ludicrous guess, my menacing glare lingered on him.

"My girlfriend is at the hospital." I responded.

"So? The last time we checked, you guys were broken up." Michael reasoned and again, I gave him a discomfited look. Seemed it wasn't just Kelvin thinking I could go out with another girl when Anna was in coma.

"Stop the creepy look Chris. It's just a fact." Michael shifted uncomfortably in his seat and I exhaled sharply.

"No, we're not dating." I stressed. "Besides, she pretty much hates my guts and she'll as much as claw your eyes out if she hears you make that suggestion." I calmly replied but blatantly snickered when I pictured Tracy clawing his eyes out.

"He's not joking." Kelvin agreed while Charlie flung his arms in the air.

"Oh thank heavens. Finally! Someone that doesn't kiss Christopher's white ass." wiggling his eyes suggestively, he added. "Maybe I'll finally get to shoot my shot, if you know what I mean."

The other guys pumped fists with him, hooting in agreement.

"Whatever." I ground out hoarsely, feeling a small pang of jealousy.

I reached out and grabbed a bottle of water from the tray and opened it, taking a long swig as if to flood down the bitter taste that suddenly settled in my mouth.