Chapter 37| T or D

Chapter 37: T or D

Tracy

"Charlie seems to be flashing his green light for you more often and you'd have to be partially blind if you say you haven't noticed it too."

I gave Daniella a coy smile after the boys went in and Charlie showed me a boyish smile for the millionth time today.

"I have." I said, making her sit upright on the chaise lounge as she tucked stray braids behind her ear.

The light bulbs had been flicked on so the front porch lit up under the obsidian dusk, and I could see her eagerness as she leaned towards me.

oh oh. I knew that look. Chioma always had it when I had hot news she wanted to hear.

"So...?"

"Well, he's-" I shrugged, "okay. Though we barely know each other. And trust me, I have a pure perception of boys except I've known one long enough to crush on."

Daniella's excitement waned and shifted into a frown. "That's new. What are you, a lesbian? Charlie is good looking enough for any girl to have a crush on at first sight."

"So you have a crush on him?" was my shrewd response that earned me a stink eye from her.

"Of course not! He's not my type and I have a boyfriend."

"I see."

"But this isn't about me. You mean to tell me he's not up your standards or what?"

I chewed over the idea of seeing Charlie and someway somehow, Christopher's image managed to creep into my head.

"Not that. He's-attractive. But he's not the only cute guy here if we're considering looks." I blurted and bit down on my lip right after.

Daniella hummed a tune of jest and flapped her eyelashes at me in a friendly once over.

"I see you! You're aiming for the best huh? Who then is your taste since Charlie is not the only hot one among them. But note, my Richie is out of bounds."

"Ella!" I huffed, trying hard not to squirm, "I'm not insinuating anything, okay? I was just-I was only making groundless assumptions based on your logic. Besides, if Charlie can't be your fancy, it must mean he couldn't match your energy. I crush on a guy when I like everything about him including looks, but it's not the priority for me."

"Okay okay, I see your point. Still, you'll agree with me that looks come first and feelings after. You see a cute guy, you swoon, then you try to get to know him. So tell me sis, is he good looking enough for you to give him a chance? Who knows, I could make a great wingman."

With a shrug, I answered in a quiet voice, "Sure. I don't know. Maybe. I guess. Probably... Not really."

My subconscious facepalmed and made a rude remark about my brain cells.

don't you start with me, I told my inner self. Just because I'm surrounded by a bunch of attractive guys doesn't mean I should start catching feelings already.

yeah, Subbie snorted, Just like you allowed Chinedu slip out of your fingers and went on to soak your pillow for someone who didn't know you liked him... How am I stuck in this body for all eternity!?

I'm a weirdo, I know. I've tried being otherwise and here we are. So if you're not fine with that, just leave like everyone else.

don't you make this about me now young lady. We both know emotional blackmail doesn't work on me. Admit it. You're just too uptight to consider any guy. I mean it's just a date, it's not like liking someone will automatically get you pregnant which has been your worst fear ever since your mom gave you the grim talk. On the bright side, she gave you her blessing with the condom packs in your drawer. Don't you even want to have a taste of sex? Everyone is having sex except you! whined, the little voice in my head.