Chapter 53| Soulmate

Chapter 53: Soulmate

Tracy

I quickly clamped my hand around her mouth before she alerted the universe of something I was trying to keep a secret.

"Need a mic?" I snapped and withdrew my hand when I suspected the coast was clear.

Chioma kept looking at me like she had seen a ghost.

"When!?" she screamed again and I slapped my hand back on her big mouth.

"Will you just...!" I berated hoarsely and she swatted my hand away. "keep it down."

"Fine!"

"On Tuesday." I said, giving her a side eye, "He offered a ride and I left with him."

"So he just," she whispered in a husky breath, "Kissed you?"

I nodded, timorous by how bad it sounded.

"Well, what did you do? Did you push him away? You bit his lip, maybe?"

I shook my head this time and braced myself for the reproach.

"Why are you acting dumb?" she snapped and I sighed.

"I kissed him back, okay? You already know how I feel about Chris. It doesn't even matter 'cause he got that call about Anna right then and I left before he could say a word. I don't think I'd be able to bear a second rejection."

"This Anna girl again." she clucked her tongue in disapproval, "I can't wait to meet her and have her keep her man away from you."

"You didn't go to see her at the hospital?" I queried, ignoring her remark, "I heard everyone was there on Tuesday."

"No, of course not." she said, "Why would I go to see my friend's rival? I declined the invite of course."

"Chi..." I paused and stared at her hypocritically, "she's that girl we were talking about just before Christopher slammed into me last December. The taxi girl, the Americana you wanted to run away with to the white man's land."

"Oh." realization dawned on her face, "That girl?"

"Yep."

"Whatever. I'll go to Christopher myself and have him explain himself to me. Why does he keep trying to take advantage of you, huh? He has that whatever thing he has with that girl yet he's giving another mixed signals. I'm not up for this vile game of his."

"Calm down, will you? Besides, you can't blame him too much. I should be blamed for coming in-between them first. Anna means a lot to him and I'm guilty of taking advantage of a knight in distress."

"Knight in distress." Chioma scowled at me, "That's what you call him now?  Babe, open you eyes. This is what they do. It's a chop here, chop there, clean mouth system and he's found a way to make the victim look the villain. He should stick to one girl and shouldn't slam his mouth into another when his girlfriend was in coma."

Hearing Anna referred to as his girlfriend made a load of chunder rise from the pit of my stomach and I had to gulp it back down.

"Now I feel like a whore." I licked my lips and smiled, " Thanks for making me feel better about this."

"Look, I didn't mean it like that but you have to stop defending him too. Unless you still want to have something to do with him despite Annabelle and everything."

I trapped my bottom lip with my teeth and looked away.

"Oh my God!" she exploded at my body language, "You still like him?"