Chapter 54| Second choice

Chapter 54: Second choice

Annabelle

I seized the chance to take in the details of his perfectly sculpted face one more time and reminisced on times I twirled his hair around my fingers while he kissed me with his cherry lips and nothing else mattered to me as long as he had his arms wrapped around me. A white polo clung to his torso, making his abdominal lines visible and he had on a casual pair of blue jeans to go.

He looked between Bassey and I, surprised I was hanging around a stranger. Still a peculiar turn of events to me too but thanks to his company, I didn't feel too miserable at the very least.

"Hi." he said once he decided to ignore Bassey.

"Hey."

Shocking. We hung out together for three months and fucked on his birthday yet here we were acting weird. But then, things didn't end on the best note the last time we saw.

"I'll take my leave now. Be good." Nurse Eunice said and gave me a knowing look before she left.

She must've figured Christopher was the guy I told her about. I had a feeling she would be back for hot gist and I would never for the life of me be able to fathom women's need to nose around.

"How are you feeling?" he took a few steps towards me, barely meeting me eyes, "I would've brought some flowers but my stepmom threatened to yank my head off for uprooting her garden the past three months."

"You..." I smiled unsurely, "you've been visiting?"

Despite what Suzan said, I feared he forgot about me and never stopped by.

"Of course, Anne. I'm glad you're finally awake." he said and my heart melted to a mush.

I smiled at him and he smiled back before glancing at Bassey again.

"Um, Bassey can you..?" I trailed off, afraid I'd seem rude.

Wow, I was really giving a shit about someone's feelings. What happened to me?

"Sure." Bassey smiled, saving me from having to tell him to get lost.

He grabbed his crutch and gave Christopher a somewhat sinister look I couldn't comprehend before leaving. Telling Bassey about my dad was the closest I'd gotten to being open to a complete stranger. I wouldn't tell anyone about Christopher and I unless I knew where my relationship with him stands.

and I know now.

"A friend?" he asked after Bassey as he sat on the chair next to my bed.

"Sort of."

The weight of what happened bore down on us and I decided to make a small talk before we delved into it.

"So your stepmom, huh? I remember you could barely say her name without choking on it."

"I couldn't tear them apart, I guess." he chuckled with a glint in his eyes, "They got married almost a week ago and to be frank, she's actually a cool person."

"So I heard. Suzan told me all about it."

"Right."

"I'm glad you all found your way back together. I almost tore you guys apart." I said and his face fell.

"No, you didn't. It was just a normal high school drama. You had nothing to do with it."

I figured he was lying to protect my feelings but he didn't have to. I had everything to do with it. Richard had sworn he wouldn't speak to him again when he moved on with Daniella just to spite me. The boys couldn't stand me and I was always with Christopher so I found a way to take him away from them too. Coming into Christopher's life, I destroyed a lot of things and left without making amends. Even Suzan and I fought before I blacked out and it was funny how I managed to turn everyone's back on me and against each other.