Family is Hard

*TRIGGER WARNING: death (I'll put these * when it is coming up)**

Derek walks into the elevator where Ivy is looking through a chart.

"Alex's brother showed up at our front door this morning. He hasn't been home in seven years. Hasn't seen his siblings in seven years," Derek comments.

Ivy doesn't look up from her chart, "Is this your way of saying that I need to talk to our sisters more?"

Derek laughs, shaking his head, "No, because that would make me a hypocrite. But we should talk more, I mean we talk about work but I wanna know about your life."

Ivy shuts the chart she was looking at, "The last time we tried that, you interrogated my guy friends. Who are now holding it over my head. So no. But, I will be talking Meredith later so you can ask her."

She exits the elevator, waving at him. She makes her way to rounds with Webber, and April, the first patient being Allison Clark.

"So then a couple days ago, we're at the grocery store, Gary and I, and the next thing I know, I'm flat on my back in the frozen foods section," Mrs. Clark tells us.

Mr. Clark looks at us, "She fainted."

She kind of laughs, "And I've never fainted. I never seen anybody faint. I don't believe in fainting."

"Did you hit your head?" Webber asks.

She puts her hand on her husband's arm, "I would've if this one hadnt caught me."

"You've got a good one. Mrs. Clark is anemic and guaiac positive, so there's defintly some internal bleeding, which looks like-" Ivy is cut off by April.

"-Friable tumor near the ambulance of vater," she finishes.

Ivy kind of smirks at April, "Yes. Thank you, Dr. Kepner."

"Dr. Swender told us the biopsy showed the cancer was back. But she said you might be able to take it out," Mr. Clark says to Webber.

"Theres a chance I won't be able to go in as deeply as I need to, but I promise to do everything I can," Webber assures.

Mr. Clark is close to tears, "Anything you can do."

"We appreciate it, Dr. Webber, thank you, thank you," Mrs. Clark says.

She kisses her husband's hand.

○○○○

Ivy is in on the surgery on Mrs. Clark, "Dr. Webber, did you consider doing a whipple on Mrs. Clark?"

"I did, but since the cancer came back, I think I can do a local resection and get the entire visible tumor. Dr. Kepner, are we boring you?" Webber says.

"No, sir. I just- I wasn't expecting Cheif Shepherd to be up in the gallery during a general surgery. But I guess the chiefs job, right- evaluating, observing," April says.

Ivy looks up and sees her brother on the phone and Lexie sitting up there, glaring at April.

"Dr. Kepner, you're in my O.R., and the only one observing and evaluating you right now is me," he sternly says.

April looks back down, "Yes, sir. I'm sorry, sir."

She looks back up, Ivy taking notice.

After the surgery, April goes to inform Mr. Clark that his wife will be alright.

○○○○