The Dr. Shepherd

Ivy looks down at her buzzing pager before taking off. She finds Amelia scrubbing in as Herman is being brought under, "How you doing? You ready? Is this a pep talk or a it doesn't matter that your not Derek talk or..."

Amelia sighs, "All of the above."

She nods, "Okay. Look, you've got this. If Herman thought that there was no chance you could do this, she wouldn't have let you planned or even be laying on that table. You've got a plan. A great plan that not even the great Derek Shepherd could make. If anyone can do this, it's you. You've got this, Dr. Amelia Shepherd. The Dr. Shepherd. I'll be in the gallery. You finish prepping," there, she leaves Amelia to finish scrubbing before heading up to the gallery.

Finding Meredith and Maggie, Ivy sits between them. Each girl grabbing one of her hands as Ivy takes a breath, "Come on, Amy, you got this."

Edwards draws the mark before Amelia steps forward, "Start the clock please. Ten blade," she makes eye contact with Ivy before starting.

○○○○

Ben waves a man off as he tries to sit next to him. Maggie looks around, "So this is a regular thing. You all come up here and you watch surgeries. Why."

Meredith shakes her head, "Not just surgeries- the bug surgeries, the whale surgeries, the rare ones, the crazy ones. I mean, your on the edge of your seat. The patient could die. This is life or death. The adrenaline, the rush-"

"Okay, so you watch, like, the worst day of a person's life like a movie," Maggie asks.

"No, not like a movie. That's insulting. This is not entertainment. Movie. Oh, okay, this is where the good part starts," Meredith scoffs, handing Ivy a water.

Ivy ignores everyone else in the room, focusing only on Amelia and her movements. Time to insert the dye. The lights go off. An intern leans forward, "What does the dye do?"

Meredith answers, "Oh, the dye makes the whole tumor glow so that we can see where the tumor ends and where the brain begins."

Immediately, Amelia's entire face is lit up from the tumor, "Whoa."

○○○○

Edwards narrates for the observation deck, "Dr. Shepherd is examining the margins of the tumor."

Ivy sits on the edge of her seat, watching carefully as Edwards settles in, "Dr. Shepherd is now cutting the tumor away from the gyrus rectus."

The same intern from before taps Meredith's shoulder again, "Gyrus rectus?"

"The area responsible for our sense of smell," she tells him.

Ben shushes them.

Callie and Owen talk before Ben shushes them, "Oh, relax. It's not the ballet or whatever."

Ivy stands and leans against the glass, "Through it is a kind of dance. A practiced, precise dance. That only Dr. Shepherd knows. It's about grace and balance."

"I got shushed, but McBaby is fine," Callie comments.

"Yes, because my sister is the one performing the surgery," Ivy snaps back.

Edwards narrates again, "Dr. Shepherd is now clearing the tumor away from the midbrain structures the fornix, the thalamus. Uh, using extreme care not to violate the interior commissure. Dr. Shepherd calls this the dream box."