Sleepless

13x04

Ivy sits with Jackson in a conference room, "How is such a little being so exhausting? Aurora woke up five times last night."

Jackson sighs, "I know, I'm tired too. We'll find away to manage."

"I know we will, but she's waking the twins up now, too. They're exhausted before the day even starts," Ivy yawns, leaning back in her chair.

Ben jogs in, "Sorry I'm late. What do we have? Jackson? Uh...Ivy?"

He moves over, "Dr. Avery!"

They both shoot up, "I'll get her."

"Hey. Just, um, catching up," Jackson stutters out.

"Tough night with Aurora?" Ben asks them.

Ivy nods, "We should have named her after a villain instead of a princess."

Jackson yawns, "She got up like five times. Maybe six. Does it count if she wakes just as we're putting her back down?"

Ben looks between them, "We? What, both of you? No, you guys, you have to switch off, take turns."

"We are. But, Aurora cries so loudly, that it wakes the twins up. So we are taking turns of what children we are tending to," Ivy lays her head on the table before sitting back up, "Ow."

"What did you just do?"

"Squashed my incision. I'll be fine," she waves him off.

Jackson nods, "Look, our system isn't perfect but, um, I'm ready to work, you know? I'm just- we're just cranking away right here."

Ben snorts, "Yeah, um, well, tell you what. I'll take point on rounds by way of the coffee cart, and um...or not. Got a trauma on the helipad," he says as Ivy and Ben's pagers buzz.

"Owen will get this one. Go," Ivy shoos him off.

"Yeah, you're on your own," Ben pats Jacksons back, running out.

"I'll only be a few minutes," he trails off, laying his head down as Ivy leans back on the chair.

○○○○

Ivy yawns as she heads into an on-call room. She sees Edwards laying on the top bunk with April on the bottom. She lays next to April, who is saying, "You know that thing they say about how you're supposed to sleep when the baby sleeps?"

"Its total crap! Babies don't sleep," Ivy complains.

"I'd like to sleep."

"Yours doesn't either? Except when she does sleep, then I don't sleep. You know why?" April asks.

Edwards sasses, "Cause you keep talking to her."

April sighs, "Because I am a guest in Luke's house. And Kepners are perfect guests, and being a perfect guest...is a hard job."

Ivy falls asleep before anyone could say anything else.

○○○○

Down in the clinic, Ivy finds her sisters and Alex eating in a separate room. She lays on the bed behind Meredith, "Two hours. I've only gotten two hours-"

She's interrupted by Timir opening the door, "Really? This is not a cafeteria, Karev. We've got two cases of strep, your alcoholic. Your foot guy still needs his foot done."