33.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Contrasting with the main hall's social atmosphere, the inner corridors were sparse with people as an eerie silence dawned upon the area.

At the end of the hallway, three people were in the middle of a confrontation.

"I did not expect you to be here." A woman in her mid-forties sneered, turning her fan ostentatiously with her hand. "Did you also manage to make a reputation for yourself after being sold off to the wealthy?"

A contemptuous frown emerged on her face after hearing no response, and the man beside her spoke up. "It is rude to ignore the words of your mother, Yinn Naron."

Backed against the wall, Yinn Naron glared at the two people with spite. She had prepared herself beforehand after hearing from Namjoon that her parents may be at the banquet, but this situation was still pushing her to the limits.

Everything she had planned to say during the confrontation was wiped from her mind the moment she saw them. As Yinn faced the two nightmares of her past, she could only blink in horror as countless memories flashed before her eyes, dragging her back into the days of her perturbing childhood.

"What are you doing here?" Her words were sharp and cold.

"I should be asking you the same thing." The woman clasped her fan shut. "You really are lucky, Yinn. It looks like your owner is quite a generous person, to bring someone like you to an occasion like this one."

"I wasn't bought. I am not an object."

"No matter. I'm glad to see you doing well, regardless." Her eyes flickered thoughtfully. "After we got rid of you, it was like our whole house was stripped of misfortune. We were able to enter a whole new world, and money came pouring towards us. In a way, this is all thanks to you."

Despite the words of gratitude, the woman was staring at her like she was nothing more than a speck of dust. Yinn pressed her lips into a thin line. The world was spinning, instigating a surge of nausea within her.

"We should get going. He's coming soon." The man's voice was authoritative as always. He glanced past her as if Yinn wasn't even worth his attention. "It will be meddlesome if we missed our opportunity because of her."

Her.

A rueful smile was on Yinn's face.

From the way he spoke, would anyone be able to tell that they were once a family related by blood?

"Oh, yes. Indeed, you're right." The woman messaged the side of her temple. Her brows furrowed in disdain as she turned towards the man. "Dorian, are you sure this is where the conference was supposed to be? Those Senyu people did come this way, right?"

"My ears would never betray me. I heard their conversation," Yinn's father, Dorian, replied. His eyes skimmed the empty hallway as he spoke with a lowered voice. "Kim Seokjin was definitely going to pass by here."