Stephen Strange x Reader - Little Miss Stark p4

((Final Part))

Stephen's P.O.V.

"You know, it's almost 4am." I spoke, watching Y/N jump, before turning to face me.

"What the Hell are you doing here?" She hissed, glaring at me slightly.

"I woke up and found the portal. I thought I'd see where it led to." I shrugged glancing towards the open portal behind me and Y/N turned back to the piano.
"So, where are we, exactly?"

"This is the Avengers compound..." A single piano note played, before the woman in front of me let out a sigh.
"I come here when I can't sleep. This room is completely soundproof, no cameras, no distractions, just me and the piano."

"I didn't know you played." I moved over to her and sat beside her on the bench.

"Yeah, I took lessons when I was a kid." Y/N smiled a little, looking down at the keys. She had such a pretty smile.
"What about you?"

"I used to play... before the crash that ruined my hands." I muttered, looking at the scars on my skin.
"I haven't really tried since." My attention was drawn to the piano when Y/N began to play a familiar piece. I felt my lips curl up into a small smile, before hesitantly lifting my hands and joining in.
"Shit." I whispered, getting a note wrong, but it didn't phase Y/N as she continued to play. Despite the fact that I messed up several times, we made it to the end of the piece and I couldn't help but feel a little proud of myself.
"You play beautifully."

"Not too bad yourself, for a guy who hasn't played in a while." She shrugged and we fell into a comfortable silence.

"What's keeping you awake, Y/N?" I asked the question which had been on my mind since I stepped through the portal.
"Your insomnia has to be caused by something?"

"There was an accident, a couple of years ago. I was working on something... it was stupid. Everyone warned me against it, they said it was dangerous, too risky. And they were right, it blew up. Literally. It was the biggest mistake of my career." She sighed, looking at her hands in her lap.
"A lot of people died because of my screw up. Tony tried telling me it wasn't my fault, but it was and it broke me. I walked away from it all."

"That's what took you to Kamar-Taj." It wasn't a question, because I already knew the answer.

"I was running from my problems and I wanted forgiveness. I heard about Kamar-Taj, a place where broken people went to be fixed, and I figured I'd give it a go.
The Ancient One told me I couldn't reverse what I had done, but I could help save lives instead. So, I studied the Mystic Arts, I became a master." She smiled weakly.
"And I regret it."

"You do?" I asked, both confused and shocked by her confession.

"Yeah. I mean, Tony is the only family I have left and I lie to him every time I see him. He practically raised me after our parents died and I can barely look him in the eye without feeling guilty." She shook her head.
"I love being a Master, but lying to him... it just doesn't seem worth it anymore."

"Then tell him the truth." I replied.
"It's clear that he cares a lot for you, if you show him that you can handle yourself, then maybe it would help him understand?" Y/N laughed lightly.

"Thanks, but that won't work. As soon as Tony sees I'm in any kind of danger, he will try to jump in and save the day."

"So, what? You're just going to give up the Mystic Arts? You think that will clear your guilt?" I could feel myself getting frustrated and I was unsure why. Y/N was a strong sorceress, I knew that, and the thought of her just giving up on her power genuinely bothered me.

"Honestly, Strange, I appreciate that you're trying to help me, but I don't need or want your help." She looked up at me.
"Let's just forget this happened."

"No." I shook my head.
"I think you do want my help, otherwise you wouldn't have told me about how guilty you feel. You wouldn't have told me anything. If you didn't want my help, you would have told me to go back to the Sanctum by now."

"Alright, Smartass. Go back to the sanctum."

~

"Strange? What happened?" Wong asked as soon as I stepped through the portal, back into the library. It was just before 7am and Y/N was fast asleep in my arms.

"She's fine, Wong. She just had a late night." I gave the man a small smile.
"I'm going to take her to her room."

"Yes, of course." He nodded and I left the library, walking through the halls.
After Y/N had reluctantly accepted my help with telling her brother the truth, we spoke about how she was going to do that and came up with a plan of sorts.
After that, I tried playing the piano again and somehow, Y/N fell asleep against my shoulder, taking me by surprise.
Letting myself into Y/N's room, I placed her down on her bed, covering her over with the sheets, before moving over to the door.

"Stephen?" Her sleepy voice made me stop and turn back to look at her. She was sat up slightly, more than likely still half asleep.
"Thank you."

"Get some rest, Y/N."

Not sure if I like how I ended this one, especially since the whole HYDRA thing doesn't really tie back up with it, but oh well.