Sam Wilson x Reader - Sunshine

*Casually sprinkles Gino D'Acampo into a marvel fic*
Hahaha I think I'm really funny I couldn't help myself
If yk yk

Y/N's P.O.V.

"Okay, Y/N get the to the roof. Buck and I need you watching our backs. Sam, you're going to fly ahead and take out anyone we can't." I zoned out, not really listening to the rest of the plan. I had heard it four times on the jet here. If I listened to it again, I think I'd go insane.

"You okay, sweetheart?" Sam mumbled as Steve started talking directly to Bucky.
We had a strange friendship, Sam and I. We flirted, a lot. More than friends probably should.

"Yeah, but if Steve tries to go over the plan again, I'm going to lose it." I sighed, making him chuckle as he took my hand in his. His fingers locking with mine.
"I don't know, I think I'm just tired. I haven't been able to sleep properly recently."

"Well, there's always a space in my bed for you, sweetheart." He winked and I rolled my eyes.
"And if there's something you need to talk about, you know I'm willing to listen." He smiled, more serious this time.

"I know. Thanks, sunshine." His smile widened at the nickname. I started calling him sunshine after we met on a morning run, the sun was barely up and he just looked... pretty in the early morning light.

"Ready to go?" Steve asked and we both nodded.
"Alright. Let's get this right, we only have one chance." I let go of Sam's hand hand, picking up my bag and throwing it over my shoulder.

"See you once the mission is over." I smiled at Sam, pushing down the bad feeling forming in my stomach.

"You don't want a ride up top?" He asked, looking up at the tall building as his metal wings extended and I laughed a little.

"No... I think I'll just take the elevator, thanks." I mumbled, making him laugh more.

"Still don't trust me not to drop you?" He asked teasingly.

"I trust you. The wings... not so much." I pulled a face and he grinned at me.
"See you later, sunshine." I stepped towards the building, saluting jokingly and he did it back, before I turned and let myself into the abandoned building.
It was a simple mission. For me, at least.
I just had to watch Steve and Bucky's backs whilst they stopped a HYDRA truck which was due to come through this abandoned town.
I got into the elevator and made my way up to the roof, instantly settling down and opening up my bag.

"Y/N?" Steve asked through comms. I pulled out the sniper, quickly setting it up and securing it.

"In position." I spoke calmly, before letting go of the button on the device and looking through the scope. I quickly identified my two teammates on the ground, not bothering to look for Sam, knowing he'd be up high somewhere.

"Looks like our friends are here a few minutes earlier than planned." Sam spoke and I saw the two black vehicles approaching.
"Get ready."

"One chance." I mumbled Steve's earlier words.

"I thought there was supposed to be five cars?" Bucky asked and I looked through the scope in confusion. Our intel was from a reliable source. It was rarely this wrong.
There was a small explosion from a building between me and the super soldiers and I tensed up.

"Something's wrong." Steve said and I realised that during the distraction of the explosion, they had dealt with the two cars, but there should have been a lot more to deal with then just the drivers.
There was a loud bang from behind me and I scrambled to my feet as there was another bang against the door.