Steve Rogers x Reader - Experiment 44 P2

2/2
I wrote part one half asleep and didn't actually expect anyone to like it, I definitely didn't expect people to actually message me asking for part two lmao

Y/N's P.O.V.

I woke up with a groan, my entire body aching horribly. I recognised the room I was in almost instantly. It was an interrogation room in the Avengers tower. My hands were chained to the centre of the desk I was sat at and a large two way mirror sat opposite me.

"Let's skip the whole intimidating empty room routine, shall we?" I asked, glancing up to the camera in the corner of the room.
"I know how this is supposed to work, but it won't work on me."

"Oh, yeah? Why's that?" The door opened, revealing Tony Stark in a suit. He moved to sit opposite me, a blank look on his face.

"I'll tell you everything you want to know, but I have to speak to Steve." I looked at Tony.
"I have to explain-"

"Cap isn't here right now." Tony sighed and I bit my tongue, detecting the lie with ease.
"He's currently explaining to Fury how he was screwing a huge security threat. So, how about you tell me everything I want to know and then maybe you can talk to him later."

"I've never liked you." I looked at Tony, who smiled slightly.
"Always so cocky and sure of yourself."

"Can't say I've ever had much interest in you either, honestly." Tony shrugged.
"So are we doing this now, or am I arranging transport to get you to the Raft?"

"You want the truth? Then get Wanda in here. I want her to get inside of my head and compel me to tell the truth." I looked at the mirrored glass and Tony did the same, before he nodded slightly. A moment later, the door opened again, revealing the brunette girl. I liked Wanda, she was sweet and a really good friend.

"I can't do what you want me to do." She muttered, looking at me with a frown.

"Yes, you can. I know you can." I gave her an encouraging smile and she hesitated.
"Wanda, I've always believed in you. Make me tell the truth and only the truth." She moved behind me, her hands settling either side of my head and I looked at Tony.
"Ask your questions, Stark." He glanced up at Wanda.

"What's your name? Your real name?"

"They called me Experiment 44." A slightly puzzled look crossed Tony's features.

"They? Who are they?" Tony pushed.

"HYDRA, or a sub-division of HYDRA, at least." I replied completely honestly, not even trying to lie.
"Their main mission is to recreate the super soldier serum. I'm Experiment 44, the only surviving experiment left."

"What was your name before HYDRA?" Tony looked at me carefully.

"I'm not sure. I was taken as a baby. We all were. They wanted to expose us to potential serums through our childhoods." I looked down at the table with a frown.
"They raised me to be a killer. As soon as I could walk, I was being trained to kill. When I turned 18, I held a record for the most kills under my belt in HYDRA history. I escaped when I was 19."

"Why'd you escape? Holding a record like that has to mean you were living comfortably." Tony glanced at Wanda behind me. I didn't want to answer that question.
"Come on, 44. You were raised as one of them. Why would you want to leave your family?"

"They are not my family!" I snapped at him before I could stop myself. He stood up quickly, taking a step back and I looked down at the, now broken, chains on my wrist.
"They never were." I muttered, feeling tears sting my eyes.
"They called themselves family, but then they'd hurt me. You think I wanted to kill people?"

"If you didn't want to kill people then why did you carry on doing it?" Tony glared at me.
"What about your attack on SHIELD 2 years ago? You killed a dozen agents and hurt a lot more."

"They weren't SHIELD agents. They were HYDRA." Steve spoke for me, standing in the doorway.
"Fury wants to see you." He looked at Tony, who scoffed, before walking out.
"Wanda, will you give us a minute?" The brunette stepped away from me, her eyes looking glossy. Neither of us had to say anything, I knew she had seen my memories. She stepped out of the room and Steve closed the door.
I couldn't bring myself to look at him, knowing that I'd see the same hateful look in his eyes that he had when he realised who I was.
"Bucky verified your story. There was a sub-division of HYDRA attempting to recreate the serum. But it shut down 3 years ago."

"I know it did. I'm the one that shut it down." I muttered.
"I suppose you're here to take this back?" I slipped the ring off of my finger, placing it on the table.
I heard him move as I glared down at the metal.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Why would I? Being Y/N gave me a fresh start." I laughed weakly.
"Besides, you didn't hate Y/N."

"You should have told me." Steve's voice was firm, yet soft.
"I could have helped you."

"You did." I smiled at the broken chains on my wrists.
"All I ever wanted was to be normal. You gave me that."

"Y/N, look at me." My jaw clenched, but I didn't move.
"Please." I turned my head slowly, seeing him knelt down next to me.
There was no hateful look in his eyes. No anger. Only a heartbreaking sadness and something that almost looked like desperation.
"Tell me the truth. Did you mean what you said? That you love me?"

"Of course I love you." My voice was barely a whisper.
"You saved me, Steve. You said it yourself, I'm a murderer. I'm a cold-blooded killer, but I love you. More than anything."

"Then put this back on." He picked up the ring and held it out to me. My breath got caught in my throat as I tried to figure out what was happening.

"You don't hate me?" My voice cracked as my cheeks became damp with tears.

"I love you, Y/N." Steve whispered as I took the ring from him.
"You've made mistakes, but you've changed. Without you, we wouldn't have won that fight. I love you and I'm not letting you go."

"Thank you." He pulled me into a hug, dragging me off of the chair and onto the floor next to him as we both cried.
I held onto him tightly, not knowing what I did to deserve a man like Steve Rogers.