056 | i love you

a reign of chaos and moonlight.
she liked it there

PEACE. RELAXATION. WARMTH. That's all Mizuki felt. Sat in her soulmate's embrace, Mizuki felt the negativity of her day ebb away. She looked up, staring out at the open doors in the living room, glimpsing at the stars stationed along the firmament. They illuminated the darkness, and her fears crumbled to dust beneath her feet. The words, the lies, the hatred, the failuresthey now lingered at a distance.

A white crescent-shaped scar flickered on her wrist. Mizuki was reminded that wounds would eventually heal into scars, some of the permanent, some of them not. No longer did she stand in the shadows of the past.

Instead, she marched forward in the hope of reaching the stars one day.

"The sky looks beautiful tonight."

Kuroo looked down and said, "so do you."

Mizuki had heard that one before. Many times. But it was something else coming from him. Something different about his voice. Something that told her it was the truth, something that told her that it wasn't the same as the rest.

His voice reminded her she was safe, and she had a home.

"What's the plan for tonight?" Bokuto asked, nestled in Kenma's embrace, his head laying on his chest, occasionally watching the game the faux boy was currently playing.

"Nothing really," replied Akaashi, a book he burrowed from Mizuki's room in his hands. He sat beside the duo, all five of them relaxing on the wooden veranda. They had their fill of food, Mizuki helping them out in choosing a restaurant to order from. The food Bokuto, Kenma and Akaashi tried to cook was a big failure, and so they opted to just get some takeaway.

They would've gotten food poisoning if they ate the miso chicken they tried to make.

"But it's Christmas Eve!"

"There's some cake in the fridge," Mizuki informed, her gaze never leaving the sky. "Aunt Akira made it earlier."

"Ooh!" Bokuto perked up, jumping up and dashing to the fridge like a giddy child. He grabbed the metal handle, swinging open the door and gasping in awe. "This looks amazing!"

He took the large plate out, placing it on the kitchen island.

"What is it, though?" he asked, tilting his head to the side.

"It's a yule log. It's often served as a Christmas dessert in Europe," Mizuki explained, turning to look at the male. Her lips quirked upwards, seeing the thrilled expression washing over his face as he quickly took out plates and utensils.

It warmed her heart that he knew where everything was.

(The Sayeko household was home for all of them now)