013 | dream a little dream of them

she was like the moon —
part of her was always hidden

LUCIOUS GREEN TREES stand tall, extending their arms and providing homes to singing birds, special in every way — colour, size, voice

LUCIOUS GREEN TREES stand tall, extending their arms and providing homes to singing birds, special in every way colour, size, voice. The forest hummed with life, the sun breaking through the cracks, lighting up the dirt path ahead of a certain lavender-haired girl, decorated with outgrown roots, wildflowers, and fallen leaves that crunched beneath her bare feet. Mizuki trudged through, inhaling the misty fragrance of grass and the damp earth. Each breath was like water, fresh and cleansing, flowing freely into her lungs.

Familiar voices reached her ears, mellifluous and soothing. She continued ahead, eyes blinded by the sun that grew ever so brighter, basking the earth with its warmth. Mizuki brought her hand to her face, shading her eyes as she stepped into a large meadow; a glorious expanse of grass, rustling gently in the breeze, and flowers, petals illuminating under the cascading sun rays.

Stood in the middle were four, each unique in their own way and each reflecting genuine, heartfelt smiles. They turned to her, practically sparkling. They waved her over, and happiness bloomed in her chest, starting as a tingle in her fingers and toes, passing through her like a warm ocean wave, washing away the stress retained in her shoulders.

A smile broadened across her face.

She took a step forward.

"MIZUKI!"

A familiar voice pierced her head, and she awoke with a gasp, breathing raggedy, a hand clutching her shirt while the other gripped the sheets of her bed. Cold sweat slid down her back, heart palpitating expeditiously. Her head throbbed; a similar pain to someone taking a knife to her skill. Nauestaed, Mizuki wrapped her arms around her knees. She breathed in and out, in and outand bowed her head, her kneecaps pushing against her sharp cheekbones.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she willed the pain to go away. The rest of the world became detached, all she could concentrate on was the pain rooted deep in her head and her heart.

I want it to go away, she thought helplessly, her bottom lip quivering as she held back countless of bottled up tears. Make it stop.

Countless blurry images flashed behind the black curtains of her closed eyes: a woman and a child sitting at a table, scribbling colourful drawings on paper, radiating joy and delight; a woman cradling a crying child with a graze on her knee; a woman sitting on a hospital bed with an iv drip; a woman smiling while tears streamed down her hollow cheeks.

My beautiful moonshine.

Soft and melancholy was the voice in her head.

Live.

Live a life full of joy, cherish every moment, learn as much as you can. Leave this life with the knowledge that you did everything you could. And, most importantly, love with all your heart.